I was given this tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing is curious to me. I thought LP steel tanks were 2400 not 2250 for a plus fill of 2640. All mine are 2400 psi.
Well you hadn't even heard of 2250psi tanks before this thread...

A short fill is a short fill. A tank that will be short filled 10% plus whatever decrease in pressure occurs from the fill itself can significantly affect the air available and thus the length of a dive.

Yep A 10% short fill on an AL-80 is a tank holding only a nominal 69 CF of air. Are you going to plan a dive expecting 80 CF? I'm not.
The OP has a 3AA2250+ LP72 regardless of whether it is filled, empty or even has a valve in it.

The chances of getting a (properly completed) plus rating on this tank are basically zero. The REEs are not available.

Then it's not a 72 it's a 64.8.
It's still an LP72 and referring to it by any other capacity is confusing and not necessary.

All plus rated cylinders capacity reference the volume of air at the + rated pressure.

I have 8 of these 2250 psi steel tanks. 72, 71.2, whatever you call them. Fantastic buoyancy characteristics. The dive boat I usually take pumps them to 2600 without fail - every time - no matter what I say. So far - no go boom. Great tank!

You might find someone to give the tanks a plus rating, just call around to the hydro shops. I ended up having to drive to Austin (1.5 hrs) to get mine plus-rated the last time I had them hydro tested. It's a bit of a crap shoot when it comes to hydro shops around here, most don't know anything about scuba tanks. The last time I did my doubles I ended up paying for VE tests because the guy said that "all scuba AL tanks require it" but I think that's BS, it's only for 6351 alloy tanks. But try arguing that with a hydro test guy.....

All plus rated cylinders capacity reference the volume of air at the + rated pressure.

And that's a lie. Same as calling a 77.4 cf tank an 80 cf or a 523cc motorcycle a 550. It's shady marketing.

Back
Top Bottom