I want to know if some think it cool,to hunt for sport and not for food!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We don't know what happens to the eel, shark or grouper that bites down on the spiny poisonous barbs, though. Unless some divers have gotten repeat customers in the predators?

A predator with sufficient prior positive experience to be conditioned to approach divers seeking lion fish handouts is presumed to have tolerated the experience of eating them, and survived. In other words, it's a repeat customer. Of course, could be there are a bunch of dead grouper and morays with lion fish spines in their throats, guts, etc... I doubt it, but suppose it's possible.

Richard.

It takes years for life to evolve and adapt. In the Pacific, sharks, grouper, eels, snapper and triggerfish eat lionfish. There's no reason to believe the same species would not be capable of eating them here, despite their venomous spines.

The problem is they aren't recognized as a source of food. I believe eventually they will and the problem won't be as bad. With humans and predators killing them the ecosystem will eventually find a balance.

and the funny thing is that they ask a pretty penny for them as a pet and yes i know thisis how they became a problem when people released them into the wild
Possibly, but they may have also come in the ballast tanks of ships that came from an area where they are native. That has happened with other invasive species.

When it comes to Lionfish, IMO, every diver should kill every one they see in the Atlantic, Carribean and Gulf. Doesn't matter if you eat them or not. If you want to enjoy one of the most delicious fish in the ocean, you'll bag 'em and have a great meal.

I'm not aware of any spearos who don't eat or sell what they catch. So the idea that someone is killing native fish just for the fun of it would be rare and unlikely.

I am aware of people killing Lionfish for fun and I say, "have at it." A single Lionfish can do 10x more damage to a reef than a crappy diver.
Maybe I have a problem with the saying, "KILLING LIONFISH FOR FUN". I don't feel comfortable saying that nor do I want to receive that message. Keep the message clear and ethical : help the reef by hunting these animals and feed yourself and others, or leave it for the other predators to consume.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

We don't know what happens to the eel, shark or grouper that bites down on the spiny poisonous barbs, though. Unless some divers have gotten repeat customers in the predators?

This would be interesting to find out,. Does anybody have more info?
Frank G

Maybe I have a problem with the saying, "KILLING LIONFISH FOR FUN". I don't feel comfortable saying that nor do I want to receive that message. Keep the message clear and ethical : help the reef by hunting these animals and feed yourself and others, or leave it for the other predators to consume.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

Well, if someone wants to kill Lionfish in the Atlantic, Carribean and/or Gulf, I don't care what their motivation is. Save the reef, eat them or if they just enjoy killing Lionfish, it really doesn't matter to me. They're terribly destructive to the ecosystem and if any one is putting in the effort to take them out, I'm not going to pass judgment on them for their motivation.

But let's be honest. There's only two reasons one would kill a Lionfish... Save the reef or eat them (both). And in either case I assume the diver is taking pleasure in that.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com
OK I will, I enjoy killing Lionfish for fun. I find it therapeutic, it relaxes me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom