I want to know if some think it cool,to hunt for sport and not for food!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there any Marine Scientist or people who are aware of progress in trying to have Genetic Engineering work to solve this problem.
I would think sterile Lion fished released and concentrated in a certain area would have a dramatic impact on their ability to breed.

Furthermore the message of eating Lion fish might even help protect more of the native fish from hunting thus increasing there numbers? Just a thought.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

We kill as many lions as we can when we go to Bimini. We eat some, but kill a lot more than we eat. The eels and sharks will come clean them up. We ran across a small reef that somehow hadn't been infested with lions and the difference was stunning. Tens of thousands of small fish everywhere that you just don't see on the reef elsewhere. Maybe it was just this particular patch of reef that attracted the small fish, but there was a definite lack of lions there.

Kill all the lions east of the rockies. Eat them, don't eat them. Doesn't matter as long as they're dead.

Way ahead of you on that,I shoot lionfish commercially in order to take pressure off other species. I still hunt other species but the benefits are twofold.I kill an invasive predator that kills desirable fry and in addition have less time to hunt other species.At market rates there are many commercial spearfishermen doing the same now.

A number of issues to consider here:

1.) Whether on land or underwater, I think most people who hunt tend to enjoy it. Whether it's the guy with the SUV, deer stand and rifle, the guy with the bass boat and fishing tackle, or the guy with scuba gear paying for a boat trip out & back, how many are going to say 'I don't care a thing about hunting; this is just the cheapest way to get decent food we need available to me?'

2.) Eating/using what you kill is still generally expected in the culture I encountered (land hunters when I was growing up), unless something is to be culled (e.g.: over-population, invasive species, etc...).

3.) I've seen enough reports of people getting stung by lion fish that trying to prune off their spines & stow them somewhere has little appeal to me.

4.) On a Bonaire dive, a buddy mentioned to me a spotted moray eel took an interest in a guy who nailed a lion fish. There are reports of green morays elsewhere taking an interest in divers and it's believed over lion fish. I was on a guided dive out of Belize where the guide carried a speared lion fish around awhile; a pair of reef sharks showed up and made life interesting for him. Regarding the Bahamas, Mary Macguire has an article, A Shark Tale, at DANBoater, and here's an excerpt from that:

"Art had just speared two lionfish and was heading back to the boat when he attracted the attention of a couple of 3- to 5-foot-long Caribbean reef sharks. They were drawn by the fish blood and dying movements of the fish on the end of the spear. One shark swam up under Art as he made his way toward the boat. As the shark opened its mouth and headed toward the fish, he encountered Art's left hand instead. Art says it was sudden, unexpected and painful. He tucked his fist under his right armpit and continued to the boat, where he handed up his fish. Sue and Paula then helped him aboard, applied a pressure dressing and helped him remove his suit. There was a lot of blood. Art doesn't remember any of this."

My point is, handling, stowing and hauling around bleeding venomous spend fish in substantial numbers over time may put you at some risk. Also, it's a bother.

5.) The biomass of the lion fish came from the local environment; leaving the carcass there doesn't replace that (e.g.: turn back into the creatures it ate), but at least it 'gives back' something. Hard to say if the net result is good or back.

I hope to try spearing lion fish someday, for the twin motives of recreation and environmental aid. I'd prefer quick, clean kills, but wouldn't try to stab it in the head, most likely, due to perceived risk of getting stung. But if I nail them, I intend to leave them. That way when the big green moray, nurse shark, reef shark, barracuda or who-knows-what-else makes a play for it, I'll be gone.

Richard.

P.S.: Short version: I don't think we're morally bound to have humans eat invasive species culled for environmental preservation.

A number of issues to consider here:

1.) Whether on land or underwater, I think most people who hunt tend to enjoy it. Whether it's the guy with the SUV, deer stand and rifle, the guy with the bass boat and fishing tackle, or the guy with scuba gear paying for a boat trip out & back, how many are going to say 'I don't care a thing about hunting; this is just the cheapest way to get decent food we need available to me?'

2.) Eating/using what you kill is still generally expected in the culture I encountered (land hunters when I was growing up), unless something is to be culled (e.g.: over-population, invasive species, etc...).

3.) I've seen enough reports of people getting stung by lion fish that trying to prune off their spines & stow them somewhere has little appeal to me.

4.) On a Bonaire dive, a buddy mentioned to me a spotted moray eel took an interest in a guy who nailed a lion fish. There are reports of green morays elsewhere taking an interest in divers and it's believed over lion fish. I was on a guided dive out of Belize where the guide carried a speared lion fish around awhile; a pair of reef sharks showed up and made life interesting for him. Regarding the Bahamas, Mary Macguire has an article, A Shark Tale, at DANBoater, and here's an excerpt from that:

"Art had just speared two lionfish and was heading back to the boat when he attracted the attention of a couple of 3- to 5-foot-long Caribbean reef sharks. They were drawn by the fish blood and dying movements of the fish on the end of the spear. One shark swam up under Art as he made his way toward the boat. As the shark opened its mouth and headed toward the fish, he encountered Art's left hand instead. Art says it was sudden, unexpected and painful. He tucked his fist under his right armpit and continued to the boat, where he handed up his fish. Sue and Paula then helped him aboard, applied a pressure dressing and helped him remove his suit. There was a lot of blood. Art doesn't remember any of this."

My point is, handling, stowing and hauling around bleeding venomous spend fish in substantial numbers over time may put you at some risk. Also, it's a bother.

5.) The biomass of the lion fish came from the local environment; leaving the carcass there doesn't replace that (e.g.: turn back into the creatures it ate), but at least it 'gives back' something. Hard to say if the net result is good or back.

I hope to try spearing lion fish someday, for the twin motives of recreation and environmental aid. I'd prefer quick, clean kills, but wouldn't try to stab it in the head, most likely, due to perceived risk of getting stung. But if I nail them, I intend to leave them. That way when the big green moray, nurse shark, reef shark, barracuda or who-knows-what-else makes a play for it, I'll be gone.

Richard.

P.S.: Short version: I don't think we're morally bound to have humans eat invasive species culled for environmental preservation.

Interesting point. I just need to understand how is it that these moray eels or sharks are able to eat the Lion Fish with out getting stung.
If these Lion Fish can be consumed by other predators . I would be inclined to consider this is a viable solution besides human consumption.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

I'm guessing swallowing 'head first' would fold the fins against the body and reduce the risk of stings.

Be mindful the predators don't have anywhere near human intelligence; we look at a lion fish with fins spread like a little fish with a lot of fluff. Do predators see it that way? As an example of how our obvious may be far different from an animal's, AfricaGeographic has an article on those open-topped vehicles with people riding around near wild lions & leopards. Why don't the lions snag an easy meal? Why don't they see those jeeps as buffet carts?

That said, some groupers act like hunting dogs and position their bodies to point out lion fish for scuba divers, hoping they'll be fed.

Richard.

Interesting point. I just need to understand how is it that these moray eels or sharks are able to eat the Lion Fish with out getting stung.
If these Lion Fish can be consumed by other predators . I would be inclined to consider this is a viable solution besides human consumption.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

All of my lion hunting experience is in Bimini, but I've had a big nurse shark come take a lion from me in mid water. I kicked it off my spear when I saw the shark coming fast. The shark took it and turned for deep water. I also watched a big green morey head down into a cave where I had just left a dead lion. I assume it was going in for the clean up. I've also seen a video of a grey reef shark taking a lion from a friend of mine's spear.

They do get eaten, but I don't know why they aren't preyed on while they're alive.

When it comes to Lionfish, IMO, every diver should kill every one they see in the Atlantic, Carribean and Gulf. Doesn't matter if you eat them or not. If you want to enjoy one of the most delicious fish in the ocean, you'll bag 'em and have a great meal.

I'm not aware of any spearos who don't eat or sell what they catch. So the idea that someone is killing native fish just for the fun of it would be rare and unlikely.

I am aware of people killing Lionfish for fun and I say, "have at it." A single Lionfish can do 10x more damage to a reef than a crappy diver.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom