I want a BP/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ever tried orally inflating a wing with suicide bungees? Not fun :wink: I may just blow at blowing... Hahaha

Oh, my . . . Most of your questions are best answered with, "It depends." It depends on what exposure protection you are using, and what tanks you are using.

If you dive cold water with a dry suit, you want as much ballast as you can get, so stainless steel is the way to go. In a heavy wetsuit, you may want ditchable weight, so you have to look at the buoyancy characteristics of the tank you are using AND your wetsuit to decide which way to go. In warm water with an aluminum tank, a stainless plate may be all the ballast you need, and you may or may not be comfortable with that; some people decide to use aluminum so they can carry some ditchable weight.

Wing size is also dependent on those factors. You want your wing to float your gear at the surface, and to be able to compensate for all the lift you could lose from your exposure protection. In our waters, for a single steel tank, you want more than 30 lbs of lift in most cases, but not more than 40 at the outside (for a very large person). In the tropics, I use a 17 lb wing when diving wet, which is on the margin of what's adequate for my wetsuit, but I will not use that wing diving dry.

Do yourself a favor, and at least call Tobin. He will walk you through all the considerations with an almost total lack of intent to talk you into a purchase -- he's the only person I know in the dive world who will simply refuse to sell you something he doesn't think is going to work for your diving. Even if you don't buy from him (and I suspect you will), you'll learn a lot.

Thanks for the info guys...Alot to think about...lol

I have a halcyon infinity SS and 30lb wing as a rookie and love it! Expensive but I have not seen a better design and quality out there. Not extremely more expensive but worth the extra bucks in my opinion. Buy once and be satisfied for a long time. Just throwing that one in. Either way I think you will be happy like me starting with a bp/wing since the beginning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, another question. I do not want a weight belt, so on a basic harness, do the weight pockets go across your waist belt? seems like that would pull you forward. or is there room on the side belts?

*EDIT...Never mind, i found it. Thanks guys......Im still learning the whole wing setup.

Last edited:
I have used a Dive Rite Transpac Harness and wing for about 18 months now, and put about 90 dives on it. It was first configured with a Rec Exp wing which can take singles or doubles and I loved it, very comfortable, easy to trim and great to dive. About two months ago have changed the harness over to side mount now and have changed the wing for a Nomad Exp wing and am diving my older BC for singes, about 15 side mount dives on the harness now and great. I like the flexibility

I like the Transpac so much I am thinking of getting another Transpac harness to put the Rec Exp back on for singles again and get rid of the BC.

Phil.

Ever tried orally inflating a wing with suicide bungees? Not fun :wink: I may just blow at blowing... Hahaha

Have YOU ever tried it? I've never had an issue with it. I dive an SMS100 with Edd's mods, and those bungees are strung TIGHTLY through that wing....much moreso than "standard" bungee wings.

Note: I'm not advocating them, I'm just saying it's not THAT much pressure. I don't think there's any need to have them on wings for backmount (singles or doubles), but MAN are they crucial on the SMS100.

I have used a Dive Rite Transpac Harness and wing for about 18 months now, and put about 90 dives on it. It was first configured with a Rec Exp wing which can take singles or doubles and I loved it, very comfortable, easy to trim and great to dive. About two months ago have changed the harness over to side mount now and have changed the wing for a Nomad Exp wing and am diving my older BC for singes, about 15 side mount dives on the harness now and great. I like the flexibility

I like the Transpac so much I am thinking of getting another Transpac harness to put the Rec Exp back on for singles again and get rid of the BC.

Phil.

The sidemount is very interesting as well. I have never seen anyone dive one in person.

Well Guys, I took the plunge and ordered last night through Dive Gear Express.

Dive Rite TransPlate
DGX Aluminum backplate
Voyager EXP 35lb Wing
Quick Buckle 16 lb weight System
STA w/Tank Straps

Thanks for all of the input. Now just gotta get this thing wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom