I wanna do it all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim sold CCDS. So you won't find him there most days anyway. He's in Key Largo mate.

I've never seen an Ed student, but I have seen Ed in the water. He's was of the best cave divers I've ever witnessed. Hopefully that translates into good students. But I can't attest either way.

As an Edd student, let me be the first to clarify that we DO look that good. Perfect, flawless technique. Well, at least the half dozen or so that I've been diving with are. :wink:

While I'm not a GUE diver, or particularly a fan, I will say I've never dove with a poorly put-together GUE diver. One thing I'll say in disagreement with the Pro-GUE crowd in here is that GUE must be special because they've been making some of the biggest pushes in cave diving. One explanation there is that they've had exclusive access to the caves with the biggest available pushes for, what, better than a decade? I know Indian, Sally Ward (now), and Madison are all being pushed and surveyed by non-GUE divers. I believe that non-GUE divers are laying line at the end of GUE/WKPP lines already, despite having only had access for a couple of months now. I also know that GUE explorers have been diving non-GUE configurations to achieve some of the stuff they've been achieving. That's nothing against the agency, which I firmly believe to be good (if they'd set proper DIR-rules for sidemount, I'd convert tomorrow)....it's just facts. My point is that agency isn't the be-all-end-all, despite GUE having some agency-specific advantages.

---------- Post added January 14th, 2015 at 08:04 AM ----------

Thanks for the info, I was unaware. Out of curiosity who is the owner now?

Jon Bernot, Gene Page, Tom McMillan and Marius Clore...according to the website. Having never been there, though, my impression is that Jon Bernot is the most involved/active of the owners.

Can you provide a link to the survey data collected for Sally Ward? It's state property, surely anything collected for the state should be public access. Is there a detailed map anywhere from WKPP for the state to look at by the public that owns the property?

---------- Post added January 14th, 2015 at 09:43 AM ----------

For the record, I'm not pro-GUE or anti-GUE. What I am is PRO-Great Diver. I don't care how you get there, but get there. If you suck, and can't fix it through any agencies' mentoring/training then quit and take up stamp collecting.

Can you provide a link to the survey data collected for Sally Ward? It's state property, surely anything collected for the state should be public access. Is there a detailed map anywhere from WKPP for the state to look at by the public that owns the property?

---------- Post added January 14th, 2015 at 09:43 AM ----------

For the record, I'm not pro-GUE or anti-GUE. What I am is PRO-Great Diver. I don't care how you get there, but get there. If you suck, and can't fix it through any agencies' mentoring/training then quit and take up stamp collecting.

the map is on the wakulla.kml file on the project baseline website

I agree.... that's why I said something.

I know Indian, Sally Ward (now), and Madison are all being pushed and surveyed by non-GUE divers.

GUE divers have helped with the Madison project, and I hope they continue to do so since they are a tremendous asset to any cave exploration. I am not really sure what point you are trying to make bringing it up in this context.

Is there some exploration that the traditional "DIR" backmount configuration isn't suited for? Sure. But I also know for a fact that one member of the dive team who did the last pre-flood exploration/survey dives at Madison, i.e. the "new end of the line" did the whole dive in a "DIR" backmount configuration.

Back
Top Bottom