I wanna do it all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You think this thread is strange...

The USS Squalus sank during sea trials in 1939. Most of the crew was rescued by Charles "Swede" Momsen and divers using recently developed Heliox gas (not that that's really relevant but I thought you cave guys would appreciate it). Standing by and lending support was the USS Sculpin.

The Squalus was recommissioned as the USS Sailfin and both the Sculpin and Sailfin fought in the Pacific. The Sculpin was subsequently sunk and some of its crew picked out of the water as prisoners of war. Not L.C. John Cromwell though. He had knowledge of top secret plans which he feared he might divulge under torture and chose to go down with the Sculpin to avoid capture (that's not really relevant either but it adds an interesting human dimension to the story).

This is the strange part:

The Sailfin became famous as the first US sub to sink a Japanese Carrier. However, on board that carrier were 21 P.O.W. sailors from the Sculpin, the very sub that had rendered aid to the Sailfin/Squalus several years earlier.

Reactions: RJP
What a terrible quote.

First of all, of course some men will never make divers, most don't even try, or is he referring to their offspring? Well, most of them won't try either.

Secondly, no man (or woman for that matter) can dive and accomplish anything although some can accomplish a great deal (whether diving or not diving).

His frame of reference is much different then yours. He is talking about actual jobs being accomplished underwater. Where sport divers view buoyancy control as a major accomplishment.

His frame of reference is much different then yours. He is talking about actual jobs being accomplished underwater. Where sport divers view buoyancy control as a major accomplishment.

I get it, and understand what is meant by the quote, but more so, I don't care anymore. What a great quote!

---------- Post added January 15th, 2015 at 08:23 AM ----------

That is my point. Edd or Jim would never say they (or their organizations) was "where its at" or was the "defining" agency of cave diving.... they wouldnt put other agencies down nor over-build up their own.

Not really about the agency, but every time I have been diving at JB, Edd or someone at CA has told me I should ditch my back mount and go sidemount because that's where it's at (although I'm paraphrasing). I was even told once that "sidemout is the only configuration with true redundancy" while pointing to my manifold.

Do I think any of these guys are pretentious or arrogant? No, they are a great bunch and I see it as just friendly banter.

Not really about the agency, but every time I have been diving at JB, Edd or someone at CA has told me I should ditch my back mount and go sidemount because that's where it's at (although I'm paraphrasing). I was even told once that "sidemout is the only configuration with true redundancy" while pointing to my manifold.

Well they're not wrong. :wink:

Do I think any of these guys are pretentious or arrogant? No, they are a great bunch and I see it as just friendly banter.
I get those remarks EVERY single time I am in Marianna. I thank them for telling me about SM, and that I will eventually take a SM class so I can add a tool to my diving but for the time being am happy with my backmount rig. Some are rather pretentious about it while others are done in good humor. It's all good because I'm diving.

Omission, is this the cave you were referencing? The geology sounds challenging?

Lost Sea Exploration

Omission, is this the cave you were referencing? The geology sounds challenging?

Lost Sea Exploration

Yes.

Remember they explored this on air- decompressing on air. No O2. This is also long Before there were good u/w light systems.

It was Jim Wyatt, Sheck Exley, Tom Mount and several others.

They had to drycave into the site then systematically explore the lake for passages. They got just under 2000 feet of line in on the first tunnel. There's no flow so silting was a real issue- as was the unknown nature of the tunnels they were in.

I think it's safe to say Jim was exploring caves before JJ was born (or at least walking)....

---------- Post added January 15th, 2015 at 12:16 PM ----------

I get it, and understand what is meant by the quote, but more so, I don't care anymore. What a great quote!

---------- Post added January 15th, 2015 at 08:23 AM ----------

The style of diving for caves Edd would say one Jim would say another- but neither would say this agency or that was "where it's at".

That was my point.

---------- Post added January 15th, 2015 at 12:17 PM ----------

sounds like this guy and Jim Wyatt will be very happy together. i hope i get an invite to the wedding.

Clueless. Totally clueless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom