I Use Air More Than Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBill1955

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I use a more air than others. I always have to come up before everyone else. (Even when I was getting certified I used more air than everyone in class). I know I'm new to diving and everyone keeps telling me that as I get more "experience" I should use less air.

I was thinking of getting a 100 cu Al tank which should give me a little more bottom time than a standard 80 cu Al. I understand it will be heavier and as the air gets lower in the tank it will become more boyant (sp?). Is this correct?

I use a more air than others.
So does my wife, but I still love her. :D
I always have to come up before everyone else. (Even when I was getting certified I used more air than everyone in class). I know I'm new to diving and everyone keeps telling me that as I get more "experience" I should use less air.

I was thinking of getting a 100 cu Al tank which should give me a little more bottom time than a standard 80 cu Al. I understand it will be heavier and as the air gets lower in the tank it will become more boyant (sp?). Is this correct?

Relax. with 0-24 dives you are just sorting things out. Lower air usage comes with experience and focusing on details. Get configured so you are weighted right, swimming in good horizontal trim and not making excess movements, especially with your arms. Dive with a spirit of continuous improvement.

If you decide to go with a larger cylinder, consider steel. This rant may explain why. SCUBA Knowtes, The Evil Aluminum 80

Air weighs about .08 pounds per square foot. that means a 100 CF cylinder contains 8 pounds of air, about 7 of which could be gone at the end of a dive. This is entirely independent of cylinder material. This is why your weighting must be determined for the end of the dive. During the 1st part of the dive your BC will be used to counteract the weight of all that air.

Pete

Pete covered everything well. I'll just add two things. First off, relax. That is where your improvement in air consumption will come from. Once you gain some comfort in the water, better control over your buoyancy and propulsion, you'll be able to relax, and you'll use much less air. Secondly, consider a high pressure 100 cubic foot tank instead of an aluminum 100. There has been tons of discussions about this on here, so do a search and some reading, but the jist of it, is that the HP100 is smaller than an al80, allows you take weight off your belt, and has a better lifespan.

One additional thought. BCDs are the single biggest airhogs there are. Here's the deal. If you have too much lead on, you will find yourself adding more air at depth, then you'll float up, and quick dump, then back down, more air...... you get the point. As you become more relaxed in the water, your buoyance will become better. The slightest thing can effect it. So work on that as you become more comfortable. A good advanced OW class can help a lot. Some places offer buoyancy classes.

Other than that, the replies you have are pretty much where it is at. Relax, both in being patient with yourself; and in the dive itself. Breath really slowly, and deeply. The more air you get into your lungs the more oxygen can transfer into your blood system. Normal breathing for scuba is not the same as normal breathing. You can practice on the surface by breathing in, nice and slow, until your lungs are full, then breath out slowly. The more you relax, and breathe slowly, and get your buoyancy down, the more bottom time you'll get. But be patient with yourself. It takes everyone different amounts of time. Good luck. Dive often, dive safe.

Breathe normally and stop waving your hands...

This is a very common problem for new divers!

There are really two answers to this question, and they are interrelated. One is relaxation, and the other is efficiency.

When you are a new diver, the very mechanics of being underwater and managing your buoyancy, navigation, and all your equipment use up a lot of bandwidth, and very new divers are rarely completely relaxed. Tension causes you to breathe inefficiently, keeping your lungs fairly full and just exchanging a small amount of gas with each breath (this contributes to the difficulties with buoyancy that new divers have, too!) Because a large part of each breath is only ventilating the trachea and major bronchi, structures which do not participate in gas exchange, a lot of the breath is wasted as far as getting oxygen into the bloodstream and CO2 out are concerned. Therefore, you have to breathe at a higher rate, wasting a lot of your consumed gas into the water.

But a major thing that contributes to tension, and massively contributes to gas utilization, is inefficiency. What do new divers do that's inefficient?

To begin with, they often do not have their equipment properly balanced. Especially when diving in cold water, where a lot of weight is necessary, it's important to distribute that weight so that the diver in a horizontal position will tend to REMAIN in a horizontal position. If you are carrying a lot of weight low on your body, as the integrated weight pouches of many BCs will place it, then you will always tend to float in a feet-down position. Once you think about it, it becomes pretty obvious that, if you are feet down, every kick drives you UPWARD. In order to stay at the same depth, the diver has to keep himself negative, so the upward drive of the fins is countered by the sinking created by the negative buoyancy. What that means is that a good portion of the effort expended in every kick results in no net motion at all! Since muscle activity uses more oxygen and creates more CO2, this means that all that useless motion is sucking gas out of your tank.

In addition, because of the lack of balance, new divers often swim with their hands. The hands are not an efficient means of propulsion underwater, especially not compared with fins, so again, this is largely wasted motion.

When you are not balanced so that you can remain still, you must swim constantly. I can remember my own beginning days -- it irritated the daylights out of me that my buddies could simply STOP and look at something, when I would have to swim circles around them, because I simply couldn't be still. Achieving a good, flat body posture and balancing my equipment allowed me to learn just to hang in the water, which is not only a great way to look at things, but is great fun in its own right.

Achieving good buoyancy control, which includes getting properly weighted, helps with gas consumption as well. You probably learned during OW that you could affect your buoyancy with your breath. This is very true, but if you overuse this mechanism, you waste a lot of gas (not to mention setting yourself up for a CO2 headache). In the beginning, when you aren't quick to detect changes in depth, and when you are perhaps not as judicious in adding and venting air from your BC, you will make many buoyancy adjustments, both with the BC and your breath. As you gain experience, you will learn how to anticipate the need to change buoyancy, and you'll learn to add or vent air in very small amounts, keeping your buoyancy from ever being far from neutral. Gas consumption will go down with this facility, as well.

Finally, there is a level of gas consumption that will be required by your body and your degree of fitness. My favorite dive buddy is one of the most beautiful divers you could hope to see -- He is relaxed, extremely still in the water, and VERY skilled with his buoyancy. But his gas consumption is almost twice mine, simply because he's about twice my size. It would be absolutely counterproductive for him to work on his gas consumption as an end in itself; we simply dive different sized tanks, and life is good for both of us.

Have fun with this, and don't get anxious about it. Do, if you can, spend some time in a pool working with the trim pockets on your BC, or some weight pouches on your cambands, and try to get your rig balanced so you can hover in a horizontal position. This will result in a very big reduction in your gas needs.

Bill..... you have received some good advise in the above posts.....just hang in there and think 'FUN'!!

As others have said - dive more, work on your breathing, take it easy. Get your SAC rate under control 1st (do a search to find out more on this subject), then think about what type of tank you will need in regards to the type of diving you plan to do. I am not a fan of the AL 100 at all. Go steel when you are ready.

I am unusual in this regard. 20+ years of martial arts gives me good control over my breathing and I am able to start out with a .6 SAC average. What everyone here is saying is dead on. Control the breathing, control your buoyancy and trim. Again I was lucky in this regard as my instructor really went into great detail on buoyancy control, trimming out and not using our hands.

It will come with time. I still have work to do as I would like my SAC to be less than .5 (prefer .4 or so).

When I started diving I too used a lot of air. I tried several methods to conserve. The best remedy that I found was to exhale through my nose. It is easier to control the volume of exhaled air. I believe that when you exhale through your mouth that you draw air out of your tank. I also go to the pool three times a week and practice breathing exercises for an hour, half on my back with fins and the other haf with a snorkle and fins. Other than that, calm down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom