I think WetSuits are Safer and Better than Dry suits for the vast majority of divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I see the reality of it clearly now...
SuperDan can dive, the rest of us mortals are just n00b morons who should stay out of the water, cause we have NO IDEA what diving is all about, how different gear makes us a liability or how to get from A to B..

It's not about me.....a huge number of your clueless brethren, if wearing freedive fins and wetsuits, would do the high current wreck with ease--their evil twins in drysuits and Jets finding themselves insufficient to the task.

You and too many others here just can't read well enough or process well enough to be on a public forum. I would be happy to be polite if you did not insist on misconstruing so much of what I say. Malice or ignorance, it's getting old.

Now run along and beg the moderators to protect the ignorant.

---------- Post added November 13th, 2013 at 10:55 PM ----------

I think dan also implies that us NC wreck divers in our drysuits and jetfins are inherently unsafe diving in our local environment without a wetsuit and free dive fins........

Here's an idea......when the current is ripping, go inside the wreck.... Or the leeward side if not proficient at that level:wink:
You don't have currents, so you don't have the same issues.

Really? Now I'm starting to think you are either being an obnoxious troll, or you are high as a kite..... I'm hoping it's the latter. Lmao

Really? Now I'm starting to think you are either being an obnoxious troll, or you are high as a kite..... I'm hoping it's the latter. Lmao

Only the oceans in FL have currents...i guess that means rivers dont flow and theres no current in any of the northern oceans....LOLZ

Grumpy,
I think dan just needs to get a clue and realize what a ton of others on this thread have tried to tell him........that we could care less if he can swim 5 kts in scuba gear. We can shoot awesome video and shoot mammoth fish going slow.... Or not moving at all.

For what it's worth I used to despise drysuits......and then I found the fusion. Now I don't dive wet if the temp is less than 70.

Didn't realize how few tropical dives are conducted in Australia, Hawaii, Indonesia, PNG, Maldives, Micronesia, Philippines.. well the rest obviously don't count at all:doh:
I also have to laugh at these threads aka 'The World According to DanVolkner'. It's funny how 'the vast majority of divers' has shrunk to become 'some of the irregular divers in Florida'.

Also... I'm waiting for something else...
soon-261118cats.jpg

Yes, if it's not a West Palm Beach, it doesn't count. You see, Dan dives a lot, but his whole world revolves around WPB. The divers who've dived all over the world? They don't know anything. Currents, nitrox, wetsuits and fins are all different in WPB.

Someday I would like to dive where I am warm and comfortable in a wetsuit, but for now I don't. Every time I am freezing in a boat in Riveria Maya I miss my drysuit and tell myself that next time I am wearing a Whites Fusion Sport.

This video shows the way I always feel.

White's Fusion in Cozumel - YouTube

I use both a wetsuit and drysuit. There's no divng year'round in RI without a drysuit. A case could be made for diving a drysuit all year here. I do perfer a wet suit however.

Just made my 1st drysuit dive of the season last Sunday. A solo dive to collect Quahogs. One hour and 30 minutes in 53F water. I couldn't do that comfortably in a wet suit.
I don't see the big skills needed for a drysuit, it’s just another BC.

The weight amount I need for each tank/configuration I dive, for both wet suit and dry suit, is written on a card in my save-a-dive box, even refined to weight needed for light or heavy undergarments.

I lost some body weight since last winter so I was a little over weighted but, for kneeling on the bottom raking hogs that's what ya want!

Last edited:
1. People with awful diving skills will find diving a dry suit harder than diving a wetsuit.

2. People with good dry suit skills will manage a dry suit in any water temperature just fine.

3. Wetsuits are more streamlined than most laminate dry suits. Neoprene dry suits, or Fusion dry suits, may be very close in streamlining to wetsuits.

4. Most people with awful diving skills aren't worried about keeping up with dolphins. Most people . . . are not worried about keeping up with dolphins.

5. Streamlined suits mean a higher maximal velocity than rugose suits. This is very important for people who want to swim AGAINST currents, or against flow.

The average tropical diver has never contemplated owning a dry suit. Those of us who dive the tropics in a dry suit undoubtedly dive elsewhere, have better skills, and have CHOSEN to dive dry.

Dan, this just isn't an argument that needs to be had.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom