I tasted the Kool Aide and it didnt agree with me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
It doesn't seem to me that three foot (or even a one foot) tolerance for stops is unreasonable givein what folks are supposed to be preparing for. Neither do I see a long-hose, mask off, air-sharing ascent as presenting a big problem.

Thal, with all due respect unless you are teaching DIRF now please restrict your comments to another subforum.

Those are the expectations for the next class. People are taking DIRF are spending insane amounts of time practicing in their local wading pool to meet a rediculous standard rather than building a real well of experience.

E.g. deco is not precise to the foot.

You guys are way behind the times. I nominated JeffG a month ago. RTodd would be great too.

GUE has a 100% Quality control evaluation of class done by ALL certified divers. and GUE solicits feedback from all class participants. It is strictly confidential. There is a quality control board. This is to say that every person that gets a card MUST fill out a QC form or the card does not get processed. All divers are asked to fill one out after class but those that get certified MUST complete them. I ask all of my students to be HONEST on this QC form. If I did well please let them know, If I did not, please let them know. It is the only way to change the system is if someone is aware that a problem exists.
FUNDAMENTALS IS NOT A FAILURES BASED COURSE. There is a no mask swim in the program, but not a no mask ascent. the standards are part of the course powerpoint presentation and are published for the whole world to see on the GUE website:
http://www.gue.com/Training/Standards/index.html
They are not subjective and are easy to see if met or not. I am not part of the QC board, but strongly encourage and beg <G> students to use the QC form and to be honest about your thoughts on class. The QC department does not drag their feet when they find a problem.
Best, Bob

rjack321:
Bob,
As training director, I think you should look into some of these reported excesses. E.g. Expecting mask off air-sharing ascents in DIRF, running line in DIRF, rediculous bouyancy expectations, etc.

Its creating a situation where students are perpetually held up by provisional status rather than actually diving and building experience using their DIRF skills. Also leads to lots of "pre-class" practice which defeats GUEs primacy learning approach.

Bob Sherwood:
There is a no mask swim in the program, but not a no mask ascent.

I'd suggest you read through the threads I posted above. Clearly some instructors are encouraging no mask ascents, line laying, and 1' tolerance in their GUE-F courses.

Edit: And if the students are told these are the standards to pass their class, what would you expect them to report on a QC form?

I read the threads and that was a long time ago that these things occured. It is part of our history, and happy that we have moved forward since then. There should not be a tec 1 intro, failures in the current fundamentals program.

As for th standards issus. they are publically posted so that everyone can see them hopefully' BEFORE class. Then they know what the goals of the course are. All instructors are per standards required to have and use the latest powerpoint presentation that has bouyancy and trim standard listed in them as well as the dive's for the course.
Students remain the best form of quality control by filling out the QC form honestly.

sorry, better check with HQ before posting link

Best, Bob

Rainer:
I'd suggest you read through the threads I posted above. Clearly some instructors are encouraging no mask ascents, line laying, and 1' tolerance in their GUE-F courses.

Edit: And if the students are told these are the standards to pass their class, what would you expect them to report on a QC form?

Bob Sherwood:
I read the threads and that was a long time ago that these things occured. It is part of our history, and happy that we have moved forward since then. There should not be a tec 1 intro, failures in the current fundamentals program.

As for th standards issus. they are publically posted so that everyone can see them hopefully' BEFORE class. Then they know what the goals of the course are. All instructors are per standards required to have and use the latest powerpoint presentation that has bouyancy and trim standard listed in them as well as the dive's for the course.
Students remain the best form of quality control by filling out the QC form honestly.

Located here: www.gue.com/Contact/QA/index.html

Best, Bob

Bob, read them again. The dives discussed on DM occured within the past few weeks.

rjack321:
I agree 100%. Either find some additional moderators to aggressively delete non-DIR content or abandon the DIR subforum.

I still don't know why its not simply opt-in.

Making the solo forum opt-in means that i don't see any posts in there, so i don't walk into flamewars about solo diving with people who philosophically completely disagree with me. Keeps both the camps happier having the solo forum opt-in.

rjack321:
Thal, with all due respect unless you are teaching DIRF now please restrict your comments to another subforum.

Those are the expectations for the next class. People are taking DIRF are spending insane amounts of time practicing in their local wading pool to meet a rediculous standard rather than building a real well of experience.

E.g. deco is not precise to the foot.
Rjack, with all due respect, that was a comment and part of a discussion about a DIR requirement. I didn't see anything on the forum that said I had to be teaching DIRF to be allowed a comment.

That said, unless you are decompressing by computer, decompression should be to the foot, and is measured at the sternum. That my friend is Decompressing It Right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom