I tasted the Kool Aide and it didnt agree with me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For recreatonal certification you need bouyancy within 5' of target depth. ie: drills at 20', you could float up to 15' stablize, then return to 20' and you would still be within the standard. for tec it is 3' from target depth.
I keep hearing the same thing, the course needs to be longer. Almost everyone that has TAKEN the course has given similar feedback. However, as I said in an earlier post, I teach a minimum of four days, most five days and the "pass" rate is in the mid to upper 85-90%. So I believe, we are closer to a suitable length vs success ratio.
I have seen many people go away from class to practice, BUT, what is really needed is good feedback in water from buddy. If people are not getting the approriate feedback from people they get in water with to practice, they might as well just go diving and enjoy the sights. Training dives need to be just that. and if you train poorly your performance will show it. Everyone needs to know what to look for and how to give this feedback to their dive partners. Instructors are not liklely to be with students for long periods of time and it is important for us to give students the tools to help each other when we are not there. I think we ALL need formal instruction at some point to let us know what we can't see for ourselves. Best, bob

John_B:
Bob, I appreciate you chiming in here. In this past month alone I've read reports of people needing a 1' or even 6" buoyancy window for a DIR-F/GUE-F tech pass with certain instructors. Is that realistic?

What buoyancy window would you say is needed going into Fundies to get value from the class?

Thanks!

John

Bob Sherwood:
For recreatonal certification you need bouyancy within 5' of target depth. ie: drills at 20', you could float up to 15' stablize, then return to 20' and you would still be within the standard. for tec it is 3' from target depth.
I keep hearing the same thing, the course needs to be longer. Almost everyone that has TAKEN the course has given similar feedback. However, as I said in an earlier post, I teach a minimum of four days, most five days and the "pass" rate is in the mid to upper 85-90%. So I believe, we are closer to a suitable length vs success ratio.
I have seen many people go away from class to practice, BUT, what is really needed is good feedback in water from buddy. If people are not getting the approriate feedback from people they get in water with to practice, they might as well just go diving and enjoy the sights. Training dives need to be just that. and if you train poorly your performance will show it. Everyone needs to know what to look for and how to give this feedback to their dive partners. Instructors are not liklely to be with students for long periods of time and it is important for us to give students the tools to help each other when we are not there. I think we ALL need formal instruction at some point to let us know what we can't see for ourselves. Best, bob

So the tech standard is not 6" after two days of diving?
http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=199458
http://www.divematrix.com/showthread.php?p=18618#post18618

NWGratefulDiver:
First off, the only SB mod who's shown an interest in this forum since the departure of Uncle Pug and Snowbear is TSandM ... and since she participates in these discussions, by the board's own rules she's disallowed from moderating them.

Secondly, I don't think anyone else on staff really gives a rat's patooty about the DIR divers or their discussions. Why would they, when they're not DIR? There was a time when SB had several DIR-trained divers in its moderator corps. Today I can only think of two ... Lynne and Rick Inman ... and Rick's gone more the IANTD route these days.

Finally, the increasing signal-to-noise ratio in this forum isn't any different than it is anywhere else on SB. It's just a reflection of how the board's evolving.

So yeah ... I think you're right ... this ain't the place for serious DIR discussions anymore ... if in fact it ever was.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree 100%. Either find some additional moderators to aggressively delete non-DIR content or abandon the DIR subforum.

I nominate (again) RTodd and JeffG to kick some butt. :lotsalove:

Bob Sherwood:
For sure it is not!!! hahahaha Even at tec 2 you still get 3' from target depth, but if you want to up the challenge, switch to metric, the guages are MUCH more precise<VBG> best, bob

Bob,
As training director, I think you should look into some of these reported excesses. E.g. Expecting mask off air-sharing ascents in DIRF, running line in DIRF, rediculous bouyancy expectations, etc.

Its creating a situation where students are perpetually held up by provisional status rather than actually diving and building experience using their DIRF skills. Also leads to lots of "pre-class" practice which defeats GUEs primacy learning approach.

rjack321:
I think I just heard Ron Frank throw up on his keyboard.

rjack321:
Bob,
As training director, I think you should look into some of these reported excesses. E.g. Expecting mask off air-sharing ascents in DIRF, running line in DIRF, rediculous bouyancy expectations, etc.
It doesn't seem to me that three foot (or even a one foot) tolerance for stops is unreasonable givein what folks are supposed to be preparing for. Neither do I see a long-hose, mask off, air-sharing ascent as presenting a big problem.

rjack321:
I'd second that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I third it.

It would be nice to read discussions here without the same 5-10 people trolling every thread.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom