I really want to learn to scuba, but I smoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A smoker shares it with everyone, an obese person keeps it to themself.

... as long as you don't sit next to them on a crowded plane.

One instructor and one DM on staff where I used to DM courses were smokers. Away from the students, of course. I don't see the problem. If you're far enough away to not offend, no problem. There's all sorts of stuff in the air that's harmful--perhaps even in rural Nova Scotia. Definitely elsewhere. But that gets into the "smoking on dive boats" thread of 2-3 years ago and all has been said there.

According to DAN, smoking is a risk for diving.
https://www.danap.org/DAN_diving_safety/DAN_Doc/pdfs/smoking.pdf
Of course you can dive if you smoke, but the risks for dive injury is greater than the non smoker.

Just because some instructor smokes 2 packs a day for 30years doesn't mean it's okay to smoke and dive. We see this flawed argument with motorcycle helmets and safety belts.

Better advice for new diver would be get a good physical by a Primary Physician, as well as a Pulmonologist, to make sure he/she is medically fit for diving. Quit smoking, then go out and enjoy dive training. As a foot note, all of my medical or dental colleagues that I know are actively trying to get everyone to stop smoking.[ Including e-cigs, and the other tobacco products]. Unfortunately it comes across as preaching, but thats the way it is. And if you do find a Physician or Dentist that says it's fine to smoke he/she isn't one.

Well, we don't want to venture into the land of belts and helmets, do we......

Uh...thanks?? Kind of made my point for me considering the op didn't ask for your advise about smoking only if it was contraindicative to diving, which BTW it isn't...:confused:
Well then, the only answer acceptable to you is a simple yes. Anything more than that is contraindicated. LOL.

My preferred dive buddy took up ciggies while he was out of town for three years. Came back thoroughly smoking. And one day he says to me "I don't understand it. How come you've always got air left in your tank and you're swimming so much faster than I am?" It was the ciggies, they take a very noticeable hit on any kind of athletic performance, and diving is not all about soaking like a hot tub.

Of course it is incumbent on you, as a diver, to pace yourself and not over-exert, but that's your call.

A separate problem is smoking on dive boats. You may need to find a boat operator who smokes--if you can. The smoke makes many people seasick (might affect you too) so it is frowned upon. The ciggie butts and embers can burn fiberglass, non-skid decking, and canvas, and that's an unsightly or expensive repair, so boat operators don't like to see it. And very few boats have ashtrays, so you may be asked to keep the butts in your pocket. Aside from the danger of gasoline fumes versus ciggies, you can't throw the butts overboard. That's a MARPOL violation and it could cost the owner $10,000 if any law enforcement happened to be coming close and observed the violation. Of course if you're not really addicted and you can skip smoking until you are back on shore, those aren't problems.

But by all means, see how you like SCUBA class. You might decide it isn't for you, some people freak out when they have to clear a mask, or breath without one, or clear a regulator. You might decide you love it, and might even decide it is worth less smoking.(G)

Back
Top Bottom