I really want to learn to scuba, but I smoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP asked about smoking and diving. Some advice was given, it would be better to not smoke, correct?

Yes it would be better but that is not really what the OP asked. He asked if he can still dive as a smoker. It is common knowledge that it is bad for you and is really just stating the obvious.

He didn't come here to be told to quit or to have others judge him and condemn him. He came here as someone new to diving who has had a lifelong dream to dive. I find it better to welcome new people rather than push them away by telling them what they should and should not be doing in a condescending manner. (not that you were condescending at all but we all know it is bad for you)

Just some food for thought on we approach people like myself who are new to diving.

A single cig ties up about 10-15% of your hemoglobin with carbon monoxide. That blood is out of use for hours until it's finally gotten rid of....takes a long time. This taps into your air consumption.

Heart attacks while diving are one of the major causes of scuba death. Smoking is one of the major causes of cardiovascular/heart disease. Do the math.

Everyone pretty much knows about lung cancer and emphysema/COPD. These are diseases associated with constant long-term smoking. Both diseases will destroy your quality of like and untimately kill you. You may not necessarily get cancer (that's a statistical game), but it's pretty much guaranteed that you will get some level of COPD associated with time, type of cigarettes + the amount you smoke, and your genetics. Think of it as 'erosion'. A little rain, not much erosion-a lot of rain, a lot of erosion. It happens. No way around it.

Everyone has to eat. No one HAS to smoke. When you overeat you (mostly) only screw up yourself (Fat people deal with social stigma ALL the time, maybe worse than smoking). When you smoke you potentially mess with the air of everyone around you, thus the legislation to keep smokers seriously segregated from people not wanting to have that imposed upon them. I grew up with 2 parents and lots of relatives that smoked. Now I'm kind of amazed when I see someone smoking. I don't see that as a bad thing.

It trashes your skin over time via constant vasoconstriction. Look at any old smoker, they always look older and worse than non-smokers of similar age. It's almost the only effective argument you can use on young women smokers that they might listen to.

Like it or not as smoking has been pushed farther away from wide spread social acceptance and public places it is now being seen as primarily a habit of lower socioeconomic status, and frankly lower intelligence. If you are under 20 and smoke you probably think you are "cool/tough/rebel" or some other such adolescent posturing. Over 20 smokers pretty much know they are hooked and stupid for starting.

In the last 20 years of my career in Respiratory Therapy I worked for a home care company. The majority of their services was supplying oxygen to people. 99% of those people were smokers. Of hundreds that I talked to over 2 decades only 1 (yes, that's ONE), took full responsibility for it. All the rest had all kinds of lame and completely ridiculous excuses. FWIW, with RARE exception, once serious health circumstances stick that O2 cannula in their nose, It's a major struggle just to get to the bathroom, and the grim reaper himself indicates they might find it prudent to stop smoking now...mostly they do. Stopping is possible. It's just a matter of sufficient motivation.

(Note-I'm well aware that 'fear mongering' like the last paragraph is almost completely useless as motivation for smoking cessation. It just makes you anxious and you go out for a smoke. :confused:)

So if someone is grossly overweight, a total stranger, I should point that out to them?
And how many times has a total stranger approached you and told you to quit smoking? In person?? I smoked for 28 years and not once did a stranger approach me and tell me I should quit. Those who CARED about me did, yes. My doctor's did, yes. And finally a massive heart attach that only 4% of those who have kind of attack did. That's when I quit. But hey, if you want to smoke, no one is stopping you. It's legal. I just hope you really, really know what you are signing up for. And if you don't care, then so be it.

I believe the congregation has left the church as the OP hasn't been seen since page 2. As we're in the Newdiv forum, I hope she has a thick skin or a sense of humor. Oh well, we didn't like her anyway. All the second hand smoke in this thread was starting to make me cough and make my clothes smell funny. Wait...that was the torches, pitchforks, and burning crosses...:angrymob:...crap...

So if someone is grossly overweight, a total stranger, I should point that out to them?

Well, this is a different situation. It's a public forum where someone brought the topic of smoking and diving, inviting comments, and a discussion ensued. It is an appropriate place to voice opinions, as long as they're on topic. I would not go up to a stranger unsolicited and say "quit smoking" or "lose some weight" or etc.... and neither probably would you. It's rude, of course. But if someone started a thread abut being obese and diving, you would be free (invited, actually) to post responses and opinions.

But I'm glad you brought it up, because I want to clarify my earlier post. I'm sure it sounded rude and preachy, and maybe I do have an attitude about smoking. It has taken its toll on my family. But I don't intend to send any message about someone's rights to do what they want, and I certainly don't think less of any individual because he or she smokes. OTOH, urging someone-anyone; friend, enemy, stranger, whatever, to stop smoking is not a bad thing. So I apologize if I've offended anyone, smoker or otherwise.

Yes it would be better but that is not really what the OP asked. He asked if he can still dive as a smoker. It is common knowledge that it is bad for you and is really just stating the obvious.

He didn't come here to be told to quit or to have others judge him and condemn him.

Nobody is judging or condemning anyone on this thread. When someone starts a thread on this (or any other internet forum) he should expect a variety of replies and quasi-related statements, not all of which will agree, and some are likely to bother some participants. That doesn't mean they're not appropriate.

But the fact remains, it's a completely indefensible habit

Whether you appreciate it or not, anyone who encourages you to quit is doing you a favor.

All the rest had all kinds of lame and completely ridiculous excuses.

And if you don't care, then so be it.

Sorry...I call BS...certainly sounds like judging/condemnation to me as well as passive aggressiveness. The op asked a simple question in a green zone (probably based on a scuba instruction medical form) and got piled on and hopefully didn't leave for good. None of the "quasi-related," preachy posts brought any new info to light. It was used as a soapbox "for their own good." You're right it's an internet forum, but don't be hypocritical about it.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a smoker alive who hasn't hear about the quitting benefits from everyone under the sun. We get it, we do.

The strange thing is that smoking seems to make you fair game for everyone to criticise without regard. When the next 30-100 lbs overweight, drunken slob tells me I should quit smoking, maybe I should retort....

If I walked up to a diver on the shore and told them to lose weight, it will be good for them, they would tell me (rightly) to mind my own damn business. Even though statistically it is HUGELY more likely to die diving from obesity related issues than smoking.

Somehow it seems smokers signed away a few rights to self-determination along the way but we weren't at the meeting. Probably outside in the cold rain having a smoke.

You are quite right when you say that obesity is by far more dangerous than smoking when to scuba is related. However the smoke that a smoker exhales produces passive smokers to those non smoking divers/people in general. This is not the case with obese divers. I'm not a passive obese, but I'm a passive smoker.

Watch the Penn and Teller Bulls**t episode on second hand smoking. Eye opening.

Back
Top Bottom