I need the jaws of life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

francousteau

Contributor
Reaction score
when removing my SP Jets after a dive. My Jets are size XL and I'm wearing integrated size 9 1/2 boots on my drysuit. When I put the Jets on it's really not a big deal, even though I haven't put on my springs yet. What I notice is that as I descend, the fin starts to put the squeeze on my foot as the neoprene boot compresses. When exiting, I either need to rock the fin back and forth forever to get it off or, if I'm in shallow water, I step on the fin in order to get it off. If I went to the XXL, I'm pretty sure that it would be too large and flop around on my foot. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this easier? What about some holes drilled to keep the "vacuum" effect at a minimum? If I put air in my suit, after the dive, would that ease the situation? Thanks

francousteau:
when removing my SP Jets after a dive. My Jets are size XL and I'm wearing integrated size 9 1/2 boots on my drysuit. When I put the Jets on it's really not a big deal, even though I haven't put on my springs yet. What I notice is that as I descend, the fin starts to put the squeeze on my foot as the neoprene boot compresses. When exiting, I either need to rock the fin back and forth forever to get it off or, if I'm in shallow water, I step on the fin in order to get it off. If I went to the XXL, I'm pretty sure that it would be too large and flop around on my foot. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this easier? What about some holes drilled to keep the "vacuum" effect at a minimum? If I put air in my suit, after the dive, would that ease the situation? Thanks

I'm wet so this may or may not help. My fins get seated tenaciosly on my booties and won't just slip off. After flipping my spring straps off I just kick lightly, maybe 10-20 cycles and the slip right off. Just don't kick so much that they get away before you pull them off! Also be sure to grab the fin by the side and as close to your foot as you can for best leverage. I can usually do it all while floating prone.

Pete

switch to Force Fins that have an open toe! :)

If it is indeed a vacuum, you should be able to solve it by drilling a hole in the toe end of the foot pocket.

-kb

I have the rock boots with DUI and never have that problem.....Kris B is right drill some holes at the very end of the boot cup will allow air to enter to take the boot out.

Maybe you could find a career where you would not have to remove your fins after diving. I know that circus clowns always have those big giant shoes on their feet - maybe they're all wearing their JetFins under them.
If the circus isn't quite the gig for you, maybe you could become governor of New Jersey? That might not be all that different from a job in the circus though.
There is the possibility of using a small hole saw at moderate speed to install some drainage holes, but that is just so boring...

Changing fins to a post 1950's foot pocket would help a lot.:wink:

Drilled holes help alot. So does some Teflon or Silicone spray in the foot pocket before a dive weekend. Adding air to your suit would only make it worse, though, as it would inflate your foot.

theskull

Tom Winters:
Maybe you could find a career where you would not have to remove your fins after diving. I know that circus clowns always have those big giant shoes on their feet - maybe they're all wearing their JetFins under them.
If the circus isn't quite the gig for you, maybe you could become governor of New Jersey? That might not be all that different from a job in the circus though.
There is the possibility of using a small hole saw at moderate speed to install some drainage holes, but that is just so boring...
LMFAO!!!!!
You know an aweful lot about New Jersey politics for a Florida boy. Then again, we have our circus, but you guys have the presidents brother. :11: LOL!!!

dilligaf368:
Kris B is right drill some holes at the very end of the boot cup will allow air to enter to take the boot out.
Drilling holes to relieve suction will ruin a fine set of rinse buckets!

Second vote for Turtle fins. Not as large a pocket as the XXL Jets but just right for your boot size.

Back
Top Bottom