• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

I need the help of ScubaBoard to develop a new safety device

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by ADA_JIM, Feb 22, 2016.

1. DiveNav

DiveNav ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Is $20 your target cost or the MSRP?

You might be able to have a BLE or RFID based sensor at that price that would work fine at the surface as a proximity sensor (one of the typical application of BLE or RFID .... nothing new here ... and in fact we are using it in that way in our new No Diver Left Behind project).

Very unlikely that you can build a proximity sensor that works underwater (with a range of more than few millimeters) for $20. Anything rated better than IP67 requires $$$ :(

2. mmmbelows

mmmbelows Regular of the Pub

A great tool, would need something give you distance away from each other at a minimum, and a direction indicator would be ideal. I'd buy something like this as a safety device for my recreational diving if you could keep it under $500 each unit for each diver.

Wouldn't see any use for that.

Would be a great feature to have.

Yes, it would be a great back up fail safe device for all recreational buddy diving pairs.

3. Kairoos

Kairoos Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I think the proximity alarm would be nice to attach to things, like cameras. There are a lot of GoPros lost due to being dropped, or mount failures. I lost a GoPro because the mount broke and it was out of my vision/not what I was focusing on. It would have been nice to have an alert.

I'm sure there's other gear that people would like to be able to attach a proximity alarm to.

I don't know how much interest a dive log would be, I know there are other standalone products on the market that do this. My air integrated dive computer gives me great logs that I import into Subsurface.

4. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Orca

OK, now you're talking. So what you actually want is to get PADI to make us Put Another Dollar In except this one they split with you? Great plan, wish you luck, the agencies you'll get on board will be the agencies I am not getting my next cert from.

The Laconic likes this.
  5. BCSGratefulDiver

BCSGratefulDiver Mental toss flycoon ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    OK here's my insight. First off, good on you if you wish to develop a product that will find use in the diving world. That's how the free market's supposed to work.

What you describe is more what I'd call a "convenience feature" than anything to do with safety, as a diver with reasonable diving skills won't need it. My concern would be that newer divers would come to rely on it rather than develop their awareness skills and put to use the techniques they learned in their training, in which case it's more of a detriment to diving safety than an asset.

But where I'd find some serious objection is to have someone with your level of inexperience in actual diving pushing a "new safety standard" on the diving world. My reaction to that would be to tell you to go get some actual diving experience before you try solving perceived "safety" issues, particularly if you're going to use it as some attempt to push standards on the rest of us ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

John A Lewis and Jim Lapenta like this.
  6. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    If you can build such a thing for $20 or even $100 it would probably be a winner. The ping is something I haven't seen before but I'd imagine a software tweak on a lynx could achieve it.

If you're looking for something in diving that needs investment, hoseless AI. It hasn't changed much in a very long time. Many (but not all) people like it. It suffers from reliability issues, and oversized transmitters (the transmitter design is universally simmilar and unchanged in at least a decade). Hoseless AI that didn't include a 3.5CM transmitter, and was very reliable? You could license it to existing dive computer manufacturers and just make money on the I.P..

7. tarponchik

tarponchik Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    For underwater communications, me and my wife use the quacking device which is installed between the BC inflating hose and the BC. Pretty simple and quacks loudly both underwater and above. The price was about $40, as I recall.

8. Phil_C

Phil_C Instructor, Scuba Staff Member

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I agree with what many others have said. I don't really see this as a major advance in "safety".

Most computers allow digital dive logging, and diver proximity/location is already available but in my view only really has limited uses, and good buddy skills should mean you do not need a 'device' to alert your buddy and communicate.

Applied for gear/kit location could have its uses but is not really safety critical, so really much of what you propose is "nice" but not anything earth shattering, and of course is a 'gear/technology' solution to a problem that should not really exit if training is good and adhered to.

Technology can fail, and to rely on it too much for safety could give a false and unwarranted sense of safety and security. If you want to feel safe underwater work on basic skills and ensure buddy procedures are followed.

After all, even if the technology works flawlessly if your skills are not up to scratch or your buddy is not nearby and well enough trained to react appropriately all the technology in the world will not keep you safe. - Phil.

9. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Yep, a noisemaker is a more traditional solution for getting a buddy's attention, though some people find the noise obnoxious, especially if over-used.

If a diver is truly so inattentive that he doesn't hear a traditional noisemaker signal, is this proposed device's vibration or flashing light or whatever going to get his attention? I suggest an electric shock. :eek:

kelemvor likes this.
  10. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    As in the case of an ex. She completely ignored the duck call. I swear the only way she'd look up from her camera was if I emptied my tank through the stupid thing!