i need some advise in choosing fins for my fist dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

candy_33

New
Reaction score
Hi all ,

I am taking my first diving open water course next year. I have a few choices in mind but i need some advise . Which of the following brands is suitable for a lady taking their first open water dive ? I require a fin that do not require much strength in order not to tire my legs . I am still taking course in swimming therefor i am not a good good swimmer . I really need professional advise from all of you.

Should i take Mares Quattro Excel / Mares Plana Avanti X3/ Mares Volo / Mares Avanti Quattro ?

The dive store that you are getting certified with should have various fins for you to try out. You should also consider open-heel vs. closed-heel fin types. Try before you buy is the best way to find out what you like.

Dive safe.

dcs917:
Try before you buy is the best way to find out what you like.

You'll hear this over and over because it's the best advice. Welcome to the Scubaboard! Good luck with your classes!

Welcome to the board.

I tried the Avanti which is a good fin but I switched to the Volo. I've never had a cramp or sore calves. I highly recommend them if comfort is what your looking for.

Howdy and welcome to SB!

It does help with discussions if you complete your Profile. And it's even more fun when you load an Avatar (personal pic for each post) and a Profile pic. See UserCP to access these if you'd like to...? :wink:

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: and be careful about posting Replies without reading the Stickies for each forum. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

candy_33:
Mares Quattro Excel / Mares Plana Avanti X3/ Mares Volo / Mares Avanti Quattro ?
I would suggest that you talk to the LDS (Local Dive Shop) with whom you are taking your course to get thier suggestions.

As for the fins that you are interested in, I would most likely recommend the Volo. The rest of those fins are paddle type fins and will require a little more effort to swim with.

Have you considered a split type of fin? They give great thrust with alot less effort then standard fins. This will be beneficial to you if you are not a strong swimmer.

And like everyone else has said. If you can try before you buy.

P.S. Welcome to the board.

candy_33:
I really need professional advise from all of you.

Again, not sure if we can actually help you find the fin for you. Always best to try them out.

candy_33:
Should i take Mares Quattro Excel / Mares Plana Avanti X3/ Mares Volo / Mares Avanti Quattro ?

I have tried all the fins you listed here so my opinion might give you some idea. Mares Quattro Excel and Mares Avanti Quattro are stiffer and more powerful. Mares Plana Avanti X3 and Mare Volo are on the lighter side.

Many of my female students out there likes split fins. You can look into they if your LDS has them.

Again, these are MY opinions which might be not be the same for everyone. Fin preferences can be very subjective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom