I Need More Advice on My Drysuit!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

V. G. McGillicuddy

Contributor
Reaction score
I called Superior Dive Repair today, and they said that it would cost $180 for a replacement zipper for my drysuit. That does not include cement or whatever I need to remove the old zipper.
Can anyone tell me where I can get cement and whatever other chemicals I need, and is there a step-by-step website or something that shows how to replace the zipper?

-McGill

McGill,

If you haven't already been trained to work on drysuits (by a tech in a dive shop, say), a zipper might not be the optimal place to start.

Zippers are the heart of the suit, and while it might not be rocket science you may not want to trust your life to a task you've learned from a step-by-step website on the internet. Or start off by replacing your wrist seals, and then move to the zipper. It can get interesting...

I'm sure that someone will come along and provide the information you're looking for, and I wish you the best if you go that route. But if this is your first effort, make sure your first dives after you replace it yourself are with a buddy in an area you're familiar with.

Regards,

Doc

P.S. Superior has a good reputation.

Doc Intrepid:
...you may not want to trust your life to a task you've learned from a step-by-step website on the internet.

ROFLMAO!!

That is a metaphor for life right there... :D

Okay, will give it some thought. I am still debating with myself whether it's worth the extra money for the peace of mind. Still not sure yet, it's a lot of money.
My first dives with it would actually be with my instructor, and probably during a dry suit course. (Not that it would make it any less miserable or embarassing if the repair failed.)
But I would like to see what all a replacement would involve before I decide.

Thanks,
Gripp

Did you buy a used suit that needed a zipper repair? Given that a drysuit can cost $1200-$3000, I wouldn't call $200 to repair a major component "a lot of money". If they wanted that much to add a pocket maybe...

Personally $200 would be WELL worth it in my opinion to have a zipper replaced with a warranty, by an expert. If I did it, I'd spend the money, would have to buy the tools, it would likely leak, and THEN I'd have to pay the experts to fix my mess which would likely cost even more.

I'm going to have to side with Perrone and Doc here.

Some things are just better left to the pros.

Jeff

Awww, you guys...
I only paid $80 for the suit (with undergarment!), so I guess it was too good to be true. Looks like I'll have to dig the emergency cash out of the sugar bowl and give my LDS some business.
Thanks all for your help!
-McGill

I've managed to wiggle my way into a vendor account with the company a lot of the LDS use for their dry suit supplies. By the time you buy glue and a zipper, the $200 isn't that bad. Cost on the zippers, I'll just give you the cost on the shortest and cheapest one, it's $97 before shipping. I've already bought the glue and that was about $35. Not to mention, it's really a pain in the buns to glue and replace stuff on drysuits.

I guess the long and the short of it is, pay the $200, have a great repair and tinker with something that would make more sense.

I also agree. I had Drysuits Plus in Milwaukee work on mine. He did absolutely excellent and fast work on my wrist and necks seal replacement at reasonable cost. I'll use him again when the need arises.

If I were you (and you were as cheap as me), I would put a dab of Aquaseal or something on the outside of the little hole and not worry about the break between the teeth. As long as you dive with a buddy that can carefully zip you up, you shouldn't have a problem with it for awhile. I dove a suit like that for over a year (over 100 dives). The only problem I have with the break between the teeth is when I'm solo diving (95% of the time) and I have to zip myself up with a belt around a sign post or something. If the zipper gets caught on the protruding tooth and you keep pulling on it, it can pull the tooth loose. Then you're screwed. By the way, $80 for a drysuit! You must be made of money! I try not to pay more than $50.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom