I need moral support

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sitting here contemplating the memory of my feet-first ascent while trying to manage a bag during my last DIR class, and working myself into a tizzy about this coming weekend.

So I'm asking for moral support. Tell me YOUR embarrassing or awful stories from Fundies or Tech or Cave, so I don't feel like the only person who ever looked like a complete moron during class. It won't make me stop fretting, but maybe I'll get a chuckle or two out of the stories :)

This isn't from a DIR class and I can't believe I'm posting this but it will definitely give you a chuckle.

I'm in advanced nitrox/deco (taking it with full cave). We're playing around in the Orange Grove basin doing bag work. So now it's my turn. I pull out my safety reel and my bag. My buoyancy and trim are perfect - I'm looking good. Then I proceed to clip the reel off to the bag. Yes, I mean I am physically clipping the reel to the bag, not the line but the freaking reel. Fortunately I discover my error before I shoot the bag. All the while the instructor is watching me and he's thinking "ok, maybe this is some trick I haven't see yet".

Quite embarrassing.

TSandM:
I'm sitting here contemplating the memory of my feet-first ascent while trying to manage a bag during my last DIR class, and working myself into a tizzy about this coming weekend.

So I'm asking for moral support. Tell me YOUR embarrassing or awful stories from Fundies or Tech or Cave, so I don't feel like the only person who ever looked like a complete moron during class. It won't make me stop fretting, but maybe I'll get a chuckle or two out of the stories :)

Not in Fundies or Tech but ...

Running a reel when my instructor turned around, 2nd stage hanging from his mouth, signalling frantically he was OOG. By the time I decided what to do he was shaking his head. It went downhill from there. Back on the boat he said "You do realize that you killed me. Several times." I hung my head in shame.

Oh, here's one about a buddy of mine. I'm sure he won't mind.

Again, this is during full cave.

We're heading into P-III. I'm leading; Bob, let's call him, is in the middle and Sam, let's say, is in the rear. Now, P-III is a real silt hole and Mike, our instructor, mentions in the breifing how we really need to pussy-foot through there (his term). So we're heading in and all is going well. I drop my O2 bottle and Sam drops his. Sam notices that Bob decides not to drop his at this point which is a little odd since we typically drop our bottles in order so we can pick them up in order on the way out. Sam is thinking that Bob is looking for a better spot. A little bit later, we are well into the cave and Bob turns to Sam and points at his steel 45 and notes that he somehow forgot to drop it and asks what the hell he should do at this point. Sam says keep going. Now neither myself or Mike are aware of any of this. We look behind us and all we see are two lights. We don't see a big white LP45 with a highly reflective MOD 20 taped on it.

So Bob is going through the cave dreading the moment when the dive is turned and Mike see's that big bright 20 staring back at him on the butt of the bottle. He's even trying to think of a way he can hide it from view. Well the inevitable happens; we turn. I see that bottle and I look at Mike and his eyes are wide in disbelief and I almost spit out my reg I'm laughing so hard.

I'm sure was glad it wasn't me being the idiot this time.

TSandM:

Quit worrying about it ... if you don't end up looking like a complete moron at some point during the class, they're not pushing you hard enough ... and we BOTH know that ain't gonna happen in a GUE class.

I did 14 dives during my Advanced Nitrox/Deco class ... and I think I ended up looking like a complete moron at some point during most of 'em. I also think you have already heard most of those stories, so there's no point in repeating them here.

Well ... maybe the one about where I shot the bag, then let go of the reel to deploy my deco bottle ... then ended up chasing my bag halfway to Duwamish Head before I got it back .... :11:

... then there was the one ... :wink:

A big part of any good scuba class is getting the opportunity to learn from your mistakes. So just go take the class and make lots of mistakes ... you'll learn more that way ... :D

BTW - we're still diving on Wednesday, right? We can toss in a coupla moron drills if it'll make ya feel better ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TSandM:

I'll have to get back with you in a couple weeks on this. :D I'm taking my GUE Fundamentals class over the next two weekends.

This didn't happen in a class, but it's pretty embarrasing nonetheless. As you know I met and dove with some of the DIR locals in Monterey this weekend. On dive 2 we got a chance to dive the scooters. Delia mentioned to me before the dive that I should be careful to manage my buoyancy because scooters can hide bad buoyancy skills. Well, needless to say that the dive was going very well until we started scootering back toward shore. As we followed the contour of the bottom and rose from 60' to 20' I was having such a good time that I paid no attention to dumping air from my drysuit, until Delia stopped for a moment. As soon as I let my hand off the trigger I started to float upwards...fast. I'm flailing around trying to get my shoulder up and dump air to no avail. I finally grab the scooter again and point it straight down and head for the bottom, only to repeat the experience again. I have no idea what the hell was up with my dump valve but I was quite the one man circus for a minute or so. As I'm thrashing around I look down and the others are all looking up at me. I'm sure I made quite the first impression with my new friends. :shakehead We'll see if I'm invited back.

The most embarressing moment for me would be what I looked like on video attempting to do a back kick in my DIR-F class.

There was talk about what it looked like I was doing. It had something to do with a dog and by the end of my failed attempt at this kick, the dog was dead. :11:

However, I'll relate another story from that day that I can give more detail on in mixed company. I was on the team, but my eyes were closed. So, this is really almost like a second hand account even though I was actually in the middle of this little cluster.

I was asked for my mask and gladly gave it up. I'm actually quite comfortable without it. I always close my eyes so as not to loose my contacts, which was fine since I was told to keep them closed during the exercise anyway.

One of my teammates, who we'll refer to as #2, began to help me by going for a backup mask. #2 had their legs wrapped up in kelp to simulate entanglement. At this point, the third member of our team was told to be out of air.

#2 acknowledged that #3 was out of air, but continued to try to help me with a back up mask before donating air to #3. We were given a lecture about prioritizing emergencies upon reaching the surface. :D

While nothing here would be qualify as a "10" for good stories, you may get a little chuckle out of it.

I'm looking forward to reading other people's most embarressing moments from a DIR class!

Christian

I don't think there's that much line work in rec-triox. But if you are running one, and its suddenly limp - STOP REELING and tie it off!

And... if Steve decides to cut it, that doesn't mean might as well ascend right here either.
:D

TSandM:
Tell me YOUR embarrassing or awful stories from Fundies or Tech or Cave
Tech-1, OOG ascent, situation 1:
A member of team was OOG, breathing my long hose from the bottom, then switched to his nitrox 50, then again OOG and breathing my long hose whilst I was breathing nitrox 50. Then I was OOG of nitrox 50 and (instead of going for my necklace) I went for 3rd member of team for his nitrox 50. Pretty stupid situation: three divers in the circle.

Tech-1, OOG ascent, situation 2:
A member of team was OOG, breathing my long hose (both our deco tanks are OOG) and then I got left post failure. I started to close my left valve but realized that I was going to kill myself and then turned that movement to something like "oh, I'm not closing it; I'm just checking if it's really failure".

Enough?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom