I need info on the lack of hyperbaric chambers in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

33586992_10214090143520816_7141757068163153920_n.jpg

Julio R. Garcia
37 mins
Heads up everyone. South Georgia Medical Center in Valdosta, GA is going off line for the treatment of emergency indications to include diving injuries. This means if you are injured with a DCI anywhere in the Florida panhandle, Tallahasse and to the west there is an extremely high possibility you will by evacuated to Springhill Medical Center. The next treating facility in Florida is Lee Memorial in Ft. Meyers.

So far this year I know of 5 diving injuries though we have treated only 1. One self treated in water deco in a pool...unverified but that is what was reported to us. One DCS treated from Alabama coast, one treated at Naval Station Pensacola (US Navy retiree. Remember a DOD facility will only treat active military, retirees or beneficiaries and only if mission capability allows), one medivaced from Panama City, free diving...altered mental status, not considered a diving injury and...y’all tell me what you think.

20 y/o on a discovery dive on air. Diver develops severe sharp pain to the back of the head at approximately 20 ffw. TBT ~ 15-20 mins. Neurologically intact, no gait abnormalities, motor weakness or sensation deficits. Ready, go?

Heads up everyone. South Georgia Medical Center in Valdosta, GA is going off line for the treatment of emergency indications to include diving injuries. This means if you are injured with a DCI anywhere in the Florida panhandle, Tallahasse and to the west there is an extremely high possibility you will by evacuated to Springhill Medical Center. The next treating facility in Florida is Lee Memorial in Ft. Meyers.

So far this year I know of 5 diving injuries though we have treated only 1. One self treated in water deco in a pool...unverified but that is what was reported to us. One DCS treated from Alabama coast, one treated at Naval Station Pensacola (US Navy retiree. Remember a DOD facility will only treat active military, retirees or beneficiaries and only if mission capability allows), one medivaced from Panama City, free diving...altered mental status, not considered a diving injury and...y’all tell me what you think.
There is this private hyperbaric clinic in Tampa/St Pete, but no mention on the website below of ACLS (Advanced Cardiorespiratory Life Support) capability or certfication, or even a nearby close proximity supporting Medical Center or Hospital Emergency Dept, and therefore claim to only accept urgent DCS type I cases for treatment as a result (i.g. cannot treat more serious or acute cases like type II or AGE).

Undersea Oxygen Clinic Services

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom