I need help choosing a wetsuit online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D4istall

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After reading forums on wetsuits, I like to see if you'd agree that 3 mm shorties would be adequate. We are going to Jamaica after Thanksgiving to get my husband's diving certificate. We'll probably do 1 morning dive & 1 afternoon dive over 4 days. Then we're going to Cayman in Jan. & probably do 1 daily dive over 8 days. Back to Jamaica in Feb for more diving. The last time I dove in Jamaica in Feb, & Cayman in March I got by with a shorty (don't know what mm thickness), but I only dove 1 time per trip because my husband wasn't certified. So with more frequent dives, will a 3 mm shorty still be okay at those locations for our winter months? Is there much difference in the 5 mm vs. 3 mm?

I dove in Cuba last May, and they didn't have a rental shorty that would fit me across the chest, so I dove with a pair of trunks and a T-Shirt, and I was fine. 3mm would be more than adequate. I would suggest a pair of reef gloves though....

How close is your LDS (local dive store)in Iowa?. Is that the problem?

One recommendation.... don't buy anything from the Henderson Neosport line. Based on my experience, their 7/5mm fullsuit began falling apart after a mere 20 dives and is developing new holes on the inside lining every time I put it on. Worst wetsuit I've owned in my 48 years of diving.

"Shorty" wet suits are problematic for a couple of reasons. First, the overall "density" of your lower body is greater than that of your upper body because there are no air spaces (lungs) in your legs. The result is that most divers find their legs dropping in a shorty suit. With the additional buoyancy in the legs of a full suit, this effect can me minimized. Add to that the additional thermal protection, abrasion, cut, and sunburn protection on your extremities and a full suit seems like a good choice. As thermal protection, a 3mm should be fine in that warm water, just choose a full suit. I agree that the Henderson "neosport" is a horrible suit. Fortunately, that model is not indicative of Hendersons whole line and anything from the hyperflex to the H2 would be an excellent choice. As you might imagine, I have a few for sale, and could get you a 15% discount on the hyperflex (something like $189) if interested

There's one big dive shop within 35 minute drive, but the owner is so rude & cranky I said I wouldn't go back after suffering though mask & snorkle purchase. I see another shop recently opened so I should check them out. I just thought I'd get more to choose from online.

Thanks everyone for the other tips & suggestions!

Especially for the first purchase you should use a local dive shop. Getting the right size and fit is very important, like with buying any clothing, size changes with manufacturer. For your trip I would recommend a 1mm skin.

When purchasing something that has to fit, you should use your LDS.
For you, timing is important, if your on-line purchase doesn't fit, you'll have to return it, will the next attempt arrive in time? With clothing, different Co.'s use different size charts, no two are the same. Comfort is also important in a wetsuit choice.
Beck-Miester ended diving in a T-shirt and shorts!
BUY FROM YOUR LDS!

A 5mm is a very good "all round" weght.

A 5/3, if you can find it would be better, and I love the Neo-Sport 4/3.

the K

I greatly appreciate everyones input! I decided to check out the new LDS in town & I've found a new diving home! They were so helpful & even ordered in 3 different suits for me & 2 for my husband w/no obligation to buy. After trying on 4 different suits, I can't imagine trying to get the best fit online. I haven't made it back to the city yet to try them on, but feel confident that this is the way to go. Mission accomplished!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom