I need Cozumel help! PLEEEEEZ!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandi

Reaction score
Help me! I was planning a really great vacation for my husband and I to unwind, relax, and celebrate my college graduation after 6 LONG years of school. We were in the middle of booking at the Grand when I started reading some really HORRIBLE reviews. We were thinking we wanted to stay at and all-inclusive, but I'm not sure. What do you know about the Grand? Would we be better off staying at a Holiday Inn type place near town and feeding and entertaining ourselves? What should we do!!!!
Thank you in advance!

By the way, I'm new here! I'm really excited b/c my husband and I just started our scuba classes and we can't wait to go to Coz!

Hi Brandi!
First off, welcome to Scubaboard. I hope you'll find the information and banter here helpful as well as entertaining.

I've been to Cozumel twice, but I've never stayed at an all-inclusive, so I would be the wrong person to ask advice from on that. However, if you go through the Cozumel section here, I'm sure you will find some reviews on both all-inclusive trips and hotel/dive packages that should enlighten you a little. I guess it really depends on how much you're wanting to spend and what other activities you have planned. Cozumel has a little bit of everything to do.

Best of luck to you and your husband on your open water classes. You'll be hooked on scuba diving in no time. :)

I replied in your general request too.....
When we went to Coz about a year and a half ago we stayed at Plaza Las Glorias, the dive shop there was great. All of the room are oceanfront, there is not really a beach though, but there is an oceanside pool. It's cheap, close to everything and we loved it. That being said, both of my brother in laws and their spouses went with us (1 diver, 3 non-divers) I don't think either one of them liked it.
We finished our open water certification there and started off our dive experience with a bang. Just like you will, wherever you decide to stay. You will have a great time. Have fun... envy...

Brandi:

I think that you may find that reasons for the "negative" reviews of the Occidental Grand and any other all-inclusives tend to fall into two categores: 1) "Too far from town" or 2)"I'd rather eat (cheaply) in one of the many great restaurants in town". Of course, it's hard to do #2 because of #1, so maybe they're related.

In any case, we've stayed at the Grand's sister resort, the Allegro and are going back again this year. I could go either way, but my wife prefers the AI route for a number of reasons. I don't mind, because the diving is great (you are very close to the reefs), the dive op there (Dive Palancar) is great, the beach is great... you get the idea.

In any case, I've really only seen good reviews of the Grand on here lately (with some nice pictures of the hotel):

Recent Occidental Grand review

I don't think you should judge any resort by what is said by people who would never consider staying there. I would suggest that you figure out what kind of vacation you want, and judge accordingly. If you are a party animal and want to drink in a different bar every night, then maybe closer to town is better for you. If you are a party animal and don't mind drinking in the same bar every night, then a southern AI resort works fine.

Good luck in making your choice. I think that you'll enjoy yourself no matter which way you decide to go. After all, it is Cozumel....

I had friends stay at the Grand in January and use the dive operator and had no bad things to say about either one.

My only comment is that from my visits to both the Grand and Allegro, the clientele is more families than hot singles. Might be just the place for a couple to wind down tho.

Brandi,
My wife and I love Cozumel. We have never stayed in an all-inclusive because we like walking into town and eating at different restaurants (there are so many good ones). We like dining variety. Therefore, we pick a hotel based on its close proximity to town. Riding in cabs gets tiresome and burns a few extra dollars that we would rather spend on food, souveniers, etc. Walking into town rather than taking a cab gives you more freedom to do as you wish when you are not diving. I'm sure you will have a great time regardless. Best wishes, and welcome to the world of diving; we're glad you joined us!

That was my trip report that was linked and I will say again that the Grand is a top notch resort. The only bad thing I can say about it is that I am not there now. The resort and the staff and even the food (except the pizza lol) is great.

Personally, I don't like doing AI in Cozumel. The AI's there are well below par and the restraunts are wonderful and cheap. Tell us a little more about what you're looking to do and we'll recommend some hotels.

Hi Brandi, Cozumel is Mexico not the USA. Cozumel is what you make of it. If you go to Cozumel with a open mind geared towards having fun and willing to over look little things like cancelled excusions(happens alot) changes in plan (times and the like) you will have a great time where ever you stay. Most folks who complain would complain where ever they stayed and keep adding up small things to make their trip feel negative. I believe this board is the most forgiving of residence/hotels (which are basicy just for SI anyway. Scuba Boarders just don't forgive lapses in dive operations (safty and service) :).

Cozumel is now a yearly pilgramige for me and my wife. I love the Island, the diving, the ruins, and the people.

My wife loves AI food and service and we will be staying at the Grand in June. We also travel around the Island and we do eat in town a few times durring our trip. Maybe we arnt saving every doller possiable but we have a great time. Humm, I am probably savingmoney as AI includes mixxed drinks.

Back
Top Bottom