I need advice from the skiers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFishee

Reaction score
If all works out well, next weekend I will be trying skiing out for the first time. I'm really excited but could use some advice.

I've been told I should wear a non-cotton under layer. I do already have polypro bottoms that I think should be fine. But I was wondering, will my lycra dive skin (rash guard) shirts work for the undershirt or should I invest in something else with better wicking properties.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I might be a bit late in answering your ?...but, that would be fine to wear. I wear sweatpants under my ski pants...and i'm fine i sometimes get too hot actually with that. I wish i could ski this yr. but, shoulder surgery has me out for the season right now. You will have tons of fun skiing and good luck.

Not late at all! Thanks, Scuba65.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder surgery. I hope your recuperation is going well.

As ungraceful as I'm sure my techniques will be, I'm sure it will be loads of fun.

If this is downhill in a ski area with a lodge you can get away with anything since sweating will not be as much a factor as backcountry skiing. Since its your first time I would suggest something that offers padding around the butt and hips and good waterproof/resistant top layer and gloves, most of your time may be spent in close contact with the ground! Might even look at wearing a helmet if its icy. When I learned how to snowboard I hit my head on the ice and took a little nap.
Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Skiing's a lot easier than snowboarding. I learned to ski in about 15min with no unintentional falls (that's how I stopped initially). Snowboarding took 2 or 3 days before I could get to the bottom of an "easy" hill without catching an edge and doing a "fly-swatter".

devolution365:
Skiing's a lot easier than snowboarding. I learned to ski in about 15min with no unintentional falls (that's how I stopped initially). Snowboarding took 2 or 3 days before I could get to the bottom of an "easy" hill without catching an edge and doing a "fly-swatter".

Not sure I could agree with this..

If you can't stop without falling I'm not sure that is an example of someone who has learned to ski? :10:

Most boarders are doing intermediate slopes to start (it's MUCH harder to board on FLAT slopes). A friend of mine started boarding in December of one year, and by the end of the season, he was doing Pallevinici loops (double black/ABasin). Granted we put in a LOT of time on the mountain that year...

IMO most people who start out sking will spend several years on skis before they will be doing even groomed blacks. Boarding IMO has a LOT less learning curve vs. sking.

ScubaFishee:
If all works out well, next weekend I will be trying skiing out for the first time. I'm really excited but could use some advice.

I've been told I should wear a non-cotton under layer. I do already have polypro bottoms that I think should be fine. But I was wondering, will my lycra dive skin (rash guard) shirts work for the undershirt or should I invest in something else with better wicking properties.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

When I ski, I generally just wear a TShirt, then generally a fleece pullover or sweater, and then a gortex jacket (any water resistant/wind proof shell would work) on top. While I'm sure that there are some very good and expensive undergarments out there, this combo has worked for me for a few decades.

If it's really cold I wear bib type pants, and if it's not all that cold I wear gortex pants. If I'm in bibs I wear the fleece or sweater over the bibs.

As you are new, and you are SOOOO going to spend a bunch of time on the ground, I'd wear something waterproof and breathable over the entire body. Goretex is possibly the best solution, but there are less expensive options that work.

I'd also make sure that you have everything tucked in as much as possible. Bibs maybe best for the beginner as when you fall you will not have as much chance of ending up with snow down your pants, or up your back. :11doh:

RonFrank:
Not sure I could agree with this..

If you can't stop without falling I'm not sure that is an example of someone who has learned to ski? :10:

Yeah, it took about 15min to learn to stop without "bailing out". Stopping's the hardest part. The rest comes pretty naturally.

Hey all,

Thanks for all the good advice!

Inspector #2: Thanks for the warning... extra padding may be a good idea! :55:

This will be downhill skiing and there is a lodge there, but I'm not sure what the slope conditions are or if it is icy there. At last check, the weather forecast calls for snow and high temps around 25F.

Divedoggie:
Where are you going skiing?
That may have a bearing on the answers to your questions.

Oooops! I didn't give any info on that, did I? :sorry19z:

This coming Saturday will be a one-day introduction to skiing in Cadillac, Michigan at Caberfae Peaks. Then, early January, I'll be going on a three day weekend trip at Crystal Mountain, which I believe is near Traverse City, Michigan.

Depending on how things go on those two outings, there may be another ski trip or two before the season ends, with one possibly being to the East Coast area... and hopefully a bit of practice in between locally here in Michigan.

Back
Top Bottom