I need advice from the skiers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, John.

You have fun too in Lake Tahoe!

ScubaFishee:
If all works out well, next weekend I will be trying skiing out for the first time. I'm really excited but could use some advice.

I've been told I should wear a non-cotton under layer. I do already have polypro bottoms that I think should be fine. But I was wondering, will my lycra dive skin (rash guard) shirts work for the undershirt or should I invest in something else with better wicking properties.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I lived in Vail for 2 years and layered with a tee-shirt, fleece and shell and that worked fine for me. I never liked the big coats...Limited range of motion. When I was in Vail...15 years ago now...gettin old:) you didn't see alot of the capilene layers. They were around but they weren't as marketed as they are today. I do think they are a nice thing to have. They are a bit pricey...about $30-$40. I have never known of anyone wearing a SCUBA skin, but I think it would be ok. The only possible problem I see would be they may be a bit too tight. Capilene fits more loosely. The most important thing is layering. If you are layered properly, you will stay warm, irregardless of whether you wear wicking layers, SCUBA skins, or tee-shirts. The more I think about it...dish the SCUBA skin idea. I'm starting to get a bad vibe for some reason. Since it will be your first ski trip, I would recommend a warm pair of ski pants, as opposed to shells over insulated underwear. They are all water-resistant, some more than others but you can get a good pair without spending alot of money. Just make sure they have good water resistant properties. I have seen them TOO cheap and the REALLY cheap ones WILL get wet. Like anyones first time on skis, you will spend alot of time on your rumpus. Happens to everybody. A heavy jacket or a shell is personal preference. I would think more about gloves than anything else. That's a piece of equipment I would invest money in if anything else. I would strongly recommend they have a Gortex protective coating. One more thing. Layering is very important in order to stay warm, but overlayering can be dangerous. Believe it or not, I have had to actually treat people for being over heated because they were over layered. Your body will provide plenty of heat so, three layers should suffice...Tee shirt/capilene,fleece and a parka. But, once again, get a good pair of gloves. Oh...one more thing...wear only a thin pair of ski socks. If you wear thick ones you WILL regret it. Your feet will freeze and HURT. I am very excited for you. I have about 700 ski days under my belt. I don't remember alot of them, but I will never forget that first trip...Have fun...

Just wanted to say a sincere "thanks" to everyone for all the great advice.

The layering really did make the difference. I was MORE than warm enough during the active times, and found that a little unzipping provided a welcome cool relief.

I hadn't realized how much time we would spend standing around, i.e. listening to the instructors, watching each other come down the hill, laughing at each other, and even getting thoroughly sprayed by snow by a wisecrack friend who decided to show off! LOL!!! But during those times, not once did I get cold, even with temps in the upper teens to low twenties.

As for the whole skiing experience, all I can say is.... I HAD A BLAST!!!

I can't wait to get back out on the slopes again! It was definitely a day I won't soon forget. I had so much fun and I can't even begin to put it into words.

rawls:
I have about 700 ski days under my belt. I don't remember alot of them, but I will never forget that first trip...

Now I understand why! :14:

wristshot:
Are you really sure that you want to embark on another "expense intensive sport?"

I already have plans for at least 8 more days on the slopes during the next two months. I really should have listened to wristshot's warning. eyebrow

Oh well, at least now I have an exciting activity to do that lets me get me outside and actually enjoying winter. It feels like being a kid all over again... only it's much, much better the second time around. :05:

Maxine,

Now one more piece of advice if you don't mind: Always focus on where you WANT to go, not where you don't want to go. It seems that skiers (especially beginers) have an uncanny tendency to go where they are looking, regardless of where they want to go. (I am sure that it is not totally quite that simple, but it seems to be that way).

A beginner friend of mine learned that last year in a class. She finally realized that was one of her biggest problems. She tended to focus on the "bad things" and she inexoribly went towards those bad things. Once she learned to focus on good things and good places, she tended to head more towards them and she did much better.

Just some food for thought on your next days.

BTW, in my experience, skiing tends to be a series of quantum leaps and plateaus. Improvements come in large leaps, sometimes after long periods of only minor improvements, when suddenly something clicks. Stick with it, because each time you achieve one of those epiphanies, it is tremendous! (I am way overdue for my next jump!)

Enjoy,

Wristshot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom