I need a little bit of help... College Research Paper!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thatcampbellkid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just another Dive Junkie stuck in a classroom!
It's time to break out those dive logs! :goingdown:

I'm conducting a study on surface air consumption rates for a college research paper. My goal is to see what factors most greatly affect a diver's SAC Rate by conducting a survey asking for limited information about your dives. Specifically, I am asking for age, gender, height, weight, if you smoke, how many dives you have, information about your earliest logged dive, information about your most recent logged dive and how fast you estimate your mile/1.5km run time was at the time of each.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SACed...nsumptionRates

This link leads to a survey I created for this project. I would greatly appreciate it if you were to fill it out! Not that I am asking for personal information, but participant's responses will not be disclosed anywhere.

I plan to publish the results on what i find in the next month or two. Then you all can figure what you need to do to improve that SAC Rate! And if you just happen to get a friend to fill this out too, it would be alright...
biggrin.gif

Just another Dive Junkie stuck in a classroom!
It's time to break out those dive logs! :goingdown:

I'm conducting a study on surface air consumption rates for a college research paper. My goal is to see what factors most greatly affect a diver's SAC Rate by conducting a survey asking for limited information about your dives. Specifically, I am asking for age, gender, height, weight, if you smoke, how many dives you have, information about your earliest logged dive, information about your most recent logged dive and how fast you estimate your mile/1.5km run time was at the time of each.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SACed...nsumptionRates

This link leads to a survey I created for this project. I would greatly appreciate it if you were to fill it out! Not that I am asking for personal information, but participant's responses will not be disclosed anywhere.

I plan to publish the results on what i find in the next month or two. Then you all can figure what you need to do to improve that SAC Rate! And if you just happen to get a friend to fill this out too, it would be alright...
biggrin.gif

"About how long would it take you to run a mile during the time of your first dive?"

Huh?

I hope the title of your research publication will be "Relationship between non-correlated, non-controlled variables among a population of internet forum visitors comprised of avid runners who take fastidious dive log notes" or similar, because - best case - that's about what you're going to get.

Good luck!

There are relationships between these 'non-controlled variables', this is just an attempt fit the data to several different correlations. It is not an exact study, nor am I trying to claim it as such, but rather a way to predict one's likely SAC Rate based on their personal data. Since I don't have the time or means to follow 100+ divers and record exact measurements, or to effectively test their level of fitness, I decided to generalize the results.

Also, these results are not necessarily for just divers either. This data is valuable to rescue teams, EMTs, Oxygen Providers, Assisted Living Facilities, Athletes and other groups as well. But lets face it, would any of these groups have recorded information that could remotely come close to the amount of information contained in our divelogs? Just saying.

Not everyone understands it, but thanks for the input :wink:

Yeah RPD..I thought that was a strange question also. I never run.....

Unfortunately, you'll be depending on "self reporting", which is not very reliable - but you know what you're working with. I'll take a look at the survey but I have to be honest and tell you that I don't think I've EVER run a mile (maybe in high school under duress!) so I'll be completely fudging those numbers! I'll google it to see what I SHOULD be able to do! What I CAN offer is that I keep good track of my air consumption - so that will be accurate. :)

Ha ha ha, awesome! Thanks!

I know the whole running thing is getting a lot of people hung up, but its just your best guess kind of deal. I'm just trying to get a general idea of fitness level without doing an entire evaluation for it is all, but its the SAC stuff that is the real study! :D

Ha ha ha, awesome! Thanks!

I know the whole running thing is getting a lot of people hung up, but its just your best guess kind of deal. I'm just trying to get a general idea of fitness level without doing an entire evaluation for it is all, but its the SAC stuff that is the real study! :D

Why not ask people to rate their perceived level of fitness on a scale from one to 10?

The SAC stuff is going to give you crap too. Asking for someone's "First Logged Dive" will by definition give you nothing but outlier data, as that should be everyone's OW dive #1. It's not really a dive, any gas expended during skills wont be accounted for, and most people probably use half their tanks for over-inflating and then over-purging and then over-inflating their BCD. Even if you used everyone's dive #5 or even #10 you'd be way off.

Not everyone understands it, but thanks for the input
03.gif

Yeah, I've only been doing survey design and quantitative analysis for >25yrs. What do I know?

Alright, case and point, my apologies. I didn't think about the skills and all for the first dive, good call on that.
I'm trying my best on this anyways, I have done some work in statistics and analysis, but I'm still only a freshman in college lol. I'll keep working on it!

I LIKE the idea of using that first dive - it makes me look like I've really improved a lot! I already completed the survey, but if you decide you want us to use our first post-OW dive just let us know. Something else to take into consideration, my first dive was my first OW certification dive, in a quarry, where I was also getting dry suit certified. I have to believe my SAC rate would be outrageously high. If you then used my first post-OW dive it was in Key Largo without a dry suit and in calm, warm water. But if you now used that first post-OW cert dive and compared it to my most recent dive you'd be looking at a Key Largo beginner dive compared to a cold water quarry dive. There are a lot of factors to mess skew your results. Maybe there's a way to compare warm water to warm water - cold water to cold water - dry suit to dry suit (my first dry suit was in a quarry but my most recent quarry dive was in an 8/7 semi dry). GOOD LUCK!!!! It will be fun to see your results. :)

Too vague. Can't answer some stuff-- didn't log my PSI during my 1st of 4 OW checkout dives 7 years ago, etc. I don't run at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom