I must vent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jadmcse

Reaction score
I ordered the new Dacor Air-integrated Darwin about 4 weeks ago and it still hasnt arrived. Apparently they havent even hit the shelves yet because they are brand spankin new. I started this little adventure about 5 weeks ago because I knew something like this was going to happen. The problem is that I need that computer in 3 weeks. What the hell am I going to do? I have everything I need to dive in cozumel but a console. I was hoping to test it out before I went but odds are that I will be lucky just to get it in time. Dacor promises that they will send it the day they recieve them but apparently they are still on the boat from Italy. How the heck can it take 3 weeks for a boat to come from Italy? What do I do if the computer doesnt get here in time? Should I just rent one or shoot someone in the forehead? The latter idea is my favorite idea so far! Im just so frustrated. This vent will self destruct in 5 seconds.

Well you don't say in your profile where you're from, so we've no idea if you're 3 weeks from Italy.

Usually imported goods have to clear some form of Customs before being released to the purchaser, so 3 weeks is not at all "too long". I'm still waiting for goods I shipped the first week of August to arrive in Australia, and no, they're not lost, it just depends on what route the ship takes, whether it makes stops at different ports, etc etc

If I were you I would be looking at renting a console for your vacation. Dive gear companies are notorious for announcing products months (or even a year) in advance.

Did you order it locally? Many shops would be able to provide you with a 'loaner' since you have one on order...

Alex

Never heard of Dacor selling direct.

EDIT: Joke about computers named Darwin deleted - realized it wouldn't help anyone feel better.

Dacor has had some problems in the last couple years with marketing and selling products before they are actually available. And to make it worse they are commonly out of stock on existing items adn have unusually long back order periods. The LDS carrys Dacor and sells very little of it compared to other brands he carrys as it is quite hard to actually get it in the store.

Save yourself the trouble and get a Sunnto Cobra from Leisure Pro You'll have it in as little as a day depending on how much shipping you want to pay.

Atticus once bubbled...
EDIT: Joke about computers named Darwin deleted - realized it wouldn't help anyone feel better.

It would have made me feel better....Darwin is my hero, esp. when folks try to win his award. :)

I appreciate the thoughts on the subject. I am sort of forced into this system by Dacor. The story is that the console I was useing wasnt very reliable and when I challeneged Dacor on it they told me that they had in a round about sort of way, recalled the computer, but not actually done so. They had apparently quit selling it, quit servicing it, and would not sell me any spare parts. As the computer was used and I had never used it, I wasnt comfortable using it or keeping it. So I was looking for a way to exchange it for something else. I bought it on eBay, which was my first mistake, so a refund was out of the question. I had already sunk 100 dollars into it and I didnt want to just throw it away. So I called Dacor directly and asked if they had felt any sort of responsibility since they would no longer help with with the old computer. They said they would not do anything with the old one but they would allow me to upgrade it if I wanted to send them the old one. It was kind of a weird offer almost as if they were doing it special for me as they offered me 3 or 4 choice of upgrades at various costs to me. One of those choices was the latest and greatest computer from Dacor which was the Air-integrated model of 2004. Supposedly Dacor hasnt offered that system before and so it very much grabbed my attention. The retail on that computer was listed at 700 dollars and they offered to allow me to upgrade into it for 200 plus my old console. So that means I am out of pocket for 300 with the costs of my old console. Whether or not I am right I feel like its a great deal. So as you can see I am kind of trapped into this deal. I may be forced into renting another computer which is a total shame considering I dive so very little. It may be another 2 years before I ever get to use this new system.

P.S. I sent Dacor yet another email and asked what I should do about the sistuation and if they have any idea on when to expect the new system. I'll let you know when they reply and what their answer is. I have been very impressed with the way they have handled the entire situation so far although I'm not happy with the latency of the matter.

Back
Top Bottom