Lessons I must be a slow learner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm spitballing here, but you might need to learn to stop sculling and to slow down. Those are usually a byproduct of poor trim and finning, but again: I'm just spitballing.
Thanks, but I don't waste energy sculling or finning and I'm most always the slowest diver in any group.

Perhaps your spitballs could be expended more productively

It can be an advantage to breath down the slung cylinder a bit more, so it's slightly positive, if you want to hand it over on the surface.

My buddy with sidemount configuration lost the grip of one the cylinder in some rougher seas when trying to hand it over to the boat crew. Thankfully I was hanging out under the boat and could catch the cylinder, otherwise it would've continued down to a few hundred meters depth.

Perhaps your spitballs could be expended more productively
Nah, most of the air suckage issues I've personally seen are just that. :D But, not all.

My buddy with sidemount configuration lost the grip of one the cylinder in some rougher seas when trying to hand it over to the boat crew. Thankfully I was hanging out under the boat and could catch the cylinder, otherwise it would've continued down to a few hundred meters depth.
I've known a couple of rebreather pilots who have lost cylinders that way too.

I
Nah, most of the air suckage issues I've personally seen are just that. :D But, not all.
I will confess to being sensitive when others link high gas consumption with poor scuba skills.

But it ain't me babe
No, no, no it ain't me babe
It ain't me you're looking for, babe

I will confess to being sensitive when others link high gas consumption with poor scuba skills.
If you are able and even willing, come over to cave country and take a cavern course. @kensuf, @Capt Jim Wyatt, or @diverjared are awesome instructors and your trim, buoyancy, and finning will be transformed. We can even do some dives together while you're here and you'll see the dark side of Scuba. We have cookies! :D :D :D

I

But it ain't me babe
No, no, no it ain't me babe
It ain't me you're looking for, babe
I don't doubt that at least some of my high gas consumption could be skill related, but I know the vast majority is covid vaccine related (50% increase after a bad reaction to the vaccine, 2 years later still up 30%).

So I've always been a "significant" user of gas on a dive. After 600 or so dives, my gas consumption is what it is. In cold water, I solved the "problem" with HP120 / HP130 tanks

Warm water has been frustrating. FINALLY I realized that slinging an AL80 is not that different from the AL19 I used to travel with

No more short dives, I can be the first down and the last up

Life is good
Hi @JohnN

Do you happen to know your RMV? Is it the same in cold and warm water?

Thanks

If you are able and even willing, come over to cave country and take a cavern course. @kensuf, @Capt Jim Wyatt, or @diverjared are awesome instructors and your trim, buoyancy, and finning will be transformed. We can even do some dives together while you're here and you'll see the dark side of Scuba. We have cookies! :D :D :D
Thank you for the offer, it's a long hike from Oregon to FL, and cavern/cave diving is not on my wish list

Hi @JohnN

Do you happen to know your RMV? Is it the same in cold and warm water?

Thanks

I don't wish to reopen the whole SAC/RMV debate, but my SAC is about .50-.53 ft^3/min

Higher in cold water because of the extra "stuff" (Drysuit)

My air consumption goes to **** if I have to fight the current This week in Fiji, I blew through the first tank (3000 -> 1000 psi) in about 10 minutes. Luckily I was in the shadow by then and made the rest of the dive (55 minutes) without issues

Back
Top Bottom