Lessons I must be a slow learner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I've always been a "significant" user of gas on a dive. After 600 or so dives, my gas consumption is what it is. In cold water, I solved the "problem" with HP120 / HP130 tanks

Warm water has been frustrating. FINALLY I realized that slinging an AL80 is not that different from the AL19 I used to travel with

No more short dives, I can be the first down and the last up

Life is good

FINALLY I realized that slinging an AL80 is not that different from the AL19 I used to travel with

Do you use the AL80 as an emergency air supply source or as an extension to your back tank to extend your dive time?

If you use it as an extension to your back tank, why not sidemount configuration?

Am i understanding that you are using an AL80 on your back and another one slung, with two regs?

I can see how that would work.

I would want to leave 1000 PSI in the first one when switching to the second in case of a reg failure on the second bottle, but if you don't mind the bulk, dive on!

Have used a similar configuration in the past with an additional slung tank. Now learning side mount which I'm enjoying so far. But will defiantly used slung bottles again when going back mount. Would advise leaving 50% gas in the slung bottle, especially if its an alli as its bum floaty habits when empty can be a tad irritating

Would advise leaving 50% gas in the slung bottle,
This is what I have in my S30.

It is advisable to know and understand gas switching etc., for accelerated deco.

Personally my S30 is for planned deco only, but will use it to donate should any issue occur with OOG situation occur with a buddy after deploying my back gas on a long hose.

He's utilising one of the other 50 percents

This is what I have in my S30.

It is advisable to know and understand gas switching etc., for accelerated deco.

Personally my S30 is for planned deco only, but will use it to donate should any issue occur with OOG situation occur with a buddy after deploying my back gas on a long hose.
I think he's suggesting leaving half of the gas in the stage, not using EAN50.

Do you use the AL80 as an emergency air supply source or as an extension to your back tank to extend your dive time?

If you use it as an extension to your back tank, why not sidemount configuration?
The AL80 is an extension of my back gas. Since in cold water, I dive with an AL19 as emergency gas, I have all the muscle memory and habits to sling the AL80 Besides my wife would kill me if I bought more gear 🤪

After 600 or so dives, my gas consumption is what it is.
I'm spitballing here, but you might need to learn to stop sculling and to slow down. Those are usually a byproduct of poor trim and finning, but again: I'm just spitballing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom