I’m looking to improve my dive skills this year, would like comments from any and all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do rock hoppers do? We have no to line to hold onto?

The most you'd be underweighted would be by about 2 lbs if you are following my guidelines.

I would think that you can keep yourself at your safety stop in such a scenario.

Remove weight in one or two pound increments every time you dive, until you cannot hold a safety stop at 15 feet with a near empty cylinder.

The words "every time you dive,until you cannot hold a safety stop" sounds like a blown stop to me.

My method for getting the weighting right is to use my best estimate at the start of the dive and then, towards the end, hang with a buddy at 15 ft. over a sandy bottom. Purge air until about 500 psi remains. Make sure your BC/wing is totally empty and then remove weights, a bit at a time, and hover. When that last bit of weight causes me to become positively buoyant, I add it back to confirm that it makes me neutral again. Then, that's the weight for that setup.

Regardless of the blown safety stop thing, if you are neutral at 15ft with near empty, you are too light. The correct way to check would be that you are in control of your buoyancy (that is you can exhale and sink back down) all the way to the surface. Make your ascents real slow and you'll be able to find that point with ease and without any risk.

(Not that getting your weighing exact down to the last pound is such a big deal.)

Jay, it sounds like a plan. Just keep in mind any diver that's consciously trying to improve will see great benefits just from being in the water in for the first 100 dives. So personally I'd focus more on diving more early on and save the training for later. There comes a time when you find that you aren't improving much anymore, then training moves you on to the next step. If you do that you may find the PADI deep diver program rather unnecessary.

I'd also buy the equipment sooner than later, it'll give you time to get comfortable with it...with things like a BP/W, steel tanks and hoses you don't need a great deal of expertise to make the right choices.

Hudson, good advice, thanks very much.
Paddler3D, I've bookmarked that link, will review.

Thanks again everyone.

The words "every time you dive,until you cannot hold a safety stop" sounds like a blown stop to me.

Yes of course it does.

Which is why I'm going to rephrase my original post.

As you dive, each time you dive, with each sequential dive, remove weight in increments of one to two pounds, until such time as you make a dive in which you are unable to remain neutral at the 15 foot safety stop with a near empty tank; and you must either hold onto the line or kick downwards to maintain your depth. At which point go back to the last weight configuration that you used on the previous dive.

Regardless of the blown safety stop thing, if you are neutral at 15ft with near empty, you are too light. The correct way to check would be that you are in control of your buoyancy (that is you can exhale and sink back down) all the way to the surface.

According to the old PADI manual you are properly weighted when you have your tank down to around 500psi, you have no air in your BC and holding your breath, you bob around eye level. When you exhale, you sink.

Theoretically there will be a wee bit of air in your BC for your SS, not much.

As Hudson described above, you would be light, but you are not far off from being correctly weighted. Maybe a pound or two.

Jay,
I am kind of with you in your quest for diving knowledge. I have between 75 and 100 dives now(was not always diligent about logging dives). I have taken only my OW and a drysuit class. My focus has been on diving as often as I can with as many divers as I can. After about 35 dives I switched to a BP/W set up with long hose etc.. After about 50 or 60 I added double tanks. During this time I worked on my skills. Like you, most of my dives have been in the local quarry. I have met (and dove with) some very accomplished divers whose advise has helped me tremendously(one of who is Hudson above).

I have said all that to say this, I have bought and read the books and material from SSI,PADI,AND NAUI on several different specialities and just don't feel they have much to offer me in the area of skills development. I do plan on taking a rescue class and am Talking with others about getting a fundies class together this year. Getting comfortable with my gear (Which is ever changing as I learn) and diving often has been my focus up to this point. I hope my experience will be helpful in your quest.

Skip Intro To Tech, and take an Advanced Nitrox course if you are already Nitrox certified...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom