i love this it is amazing, but pricy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much of an edge do you need? I have a trilobyte for cutting through mono. I use the knife for prying and poking holes in my buddy if a shark gets too close.

I don't dive on the Diver0001 wrecks either. I carry a trilobyte and a folding titanium knife that has held up very well over several years and is still very, very sharp. I've been thinking for quite a while about adding EMT shears for the possibility of metal stuff, probably will now. SB makes me think, and makes me paranoid.

Neat little spike. Not sure what they're thinking with that protruding tooth in the center of the choil, though maybe it's too narrow to get a finger in when choking up on the blade anyway.

I carry EMT shears myself. I ordered about a half dozen. I don't take the best care of them but they are cheap. I think they will last longer if you grind off the hinge and replace it with a stainless locking nut and bolt. I am also impressed with Spiderco's H1 steel knives and would purchase a folding one if i wanted a new knife. I am impressed because I found a strait blade fishing knife on a local dive last year. It looked like it had been in the water a few weeks. I had to clean the plastic handle more than the blade - not rust at all.

Pricey is an understatement. Then again, I don't own a Rolex divewatch either.

well you must not be a diver because you have to have a Rolex dive watch to be one.

JK :)

The problem with EMT shears is that the pivot rusts out, but you don't see it until you try to use it.

They do make shears with a Ti pivot, which is a place where that metal actually belongs.

Most the shears I've seen are simply crappy. I don't mind diving with someone who has shears, but I generally am not going to look to them for help in case of an entanglement.

Won't disagree with you there; if you can cut it without shears, then it's probably going to be faster and easier to use a trilobite. I carry a pair or two of tacti-kewl shears for the same reason some people carry a handgun: you're not too likely to need shears, but if you do you're going to really need them. Not much else will handle cable or wire leader.

Plus, at $4 a pop or so for decent trauma shears like Tytek Piranhas, I could care less if they start to fall apart fast...they're disposable. Though I've been sticking the same two pairs of Tyteks in salt water for a few months now and whatever coating they put on the SS blade and pivot has been doing its job.

Back
Top Bottom