i love this it is amazing, but pricy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much of an edge do you need? I have a trilobyte for cutting through mono. I use the knife for prying and poking holes in my buddy if a shark gets too close.

How much of an edge do you need? I have a trilobyte for cutting through mono. I use the knife for prying and poking holes in my buddy if a shark gets too close.

I'm guessing you don't dive on the same wrecks I do. We don't have a lot of problems with monofilament. The nets that are abandoned on our wrecks are often made from ropes as thick as your finger with a metal wire woven into them. You don't want that wire to be stronger than your knife. :D

R..

Titanium knives are a biatch to sharpen. I'd take stainless over titanium any day. But as someone with twenty some years of experience as a butcher nothing beats a well cared for carbon steel blade. You can keep it from rusting with just a modicum of care and keeping it oiled.

Nothing until now that is. I am taking a couple prototypes of new knives to DEMA for some people to look at. These are new alloy that is like titanium in that it is completely resistant to rust and corrosion. Lighter than steel or stainless, non magnetic, and they sharpen as easily as a high carbon blade and hold an edge just as well. They also have a nice degree of elasticity so they are not brittle.

I was called in to consult on the design of these a couple months ago. Taking the opportunity at DEMA to get some additional feedback before we decide to go into production. Oh and one other thing is that due to the metal characteristics, when they are heat treated each takes on a different finish pattern so no two are alike. The user has a blade that is uniquely theirs.

They will not be cheap, but not six hundred bucks either.

As someone who swears by HC steel for all cutting blades, I'm curious to hear more about whatever alloy this is. Calling the edge titanium holds a knife is a joke, btw.

I'm guessing you don't dive on the same wrecks I do.
I'm guessing you're right! :D

I've easily cut half inch rope with my trilobyte.

As someone who swears by HC steel for all cutting blades, I'm curious to hear more about whatever alloy this is. Calling the edge titanium holds a knife is a joke, btw.

It is new and being used by a handful of custom knife makers. The company that handles and sells the alloy is local to me and I met the owner when he came into our waterjet shop for a quote on cutting blanks for the custom makers. Our ******* salesmen of course f*&(ed it up and we did not get the job. But he remembered me as a scuba instructor and called me months later out of the blue with this.

A link to the website of the maker:
SM-100 Knives - EB Custom Knives, LLCEric Bono Custom Knives

I'm guessing you're right! :D

I've easily cut half inch rope with my trilobyte.

hmmmm.... maybe I underestimate it then. I have this vision of impotent yanking without satisfying results (no innuendo of any kind intended). Guess that says more about my bias than the reality given that I haven't actually tried cutting rope with a trilobite.

R..

I sell Trilobites and demo em on mono, nylon line, 2 inch webbing, and ropes. If it will fit in the opening it will cut it. I'd be leery of wire core stuff though. That you'd need shears for I'm guessing or a set of well oiled dikes. (diagonal wire cutters)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom