I Learned From Your Lessons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really appreciate the support you have all shown for my daughter and me. I plan to share this with her as part of our learning experience. Thanks again!

The most important thing is that you stay hydrated before you dive. Otherwise, you are more susceptible to decompression sickness. If you have to walk to your dive site, you should consider gearing up in the water. This way, you can take a break and cool down before you jump in.

Great attitude!

Hi, Charles!

I read your OP with interest. I just completed my rescue diver course and am sending in the paperwork today so I can get my card. The heart of what you say in your comments regarding your daughter was echoed by my instrructor who has over 12,000 dives logged since 1972.

How you react after these situations when someone calls a dive is a stamp on who you are as a diver and a person in general. It has far reaching implications for someone’s psyche if a buddy, a rescuer, or another diver chooses to make an issue of a called dive using indignation or negativity.

It is important to be that way when you are dealing with a close person in your life, as it should be when you are diving with a total stranger. Interestingly for me and the other students in our class on the last day of in-water lessons, we saw him demonstrate the very same demeanor you did with your daughter.

A German diver in a new dry suit was being towed back to the shore near the Alki Beach side of the bay from Seattle by a salmon fisherman. The diver had just made a runaway ascent and popped up in a strong current in Puget Sound. The boatman signaled us on shore that there was a problem as he motored closer, and we watched as our instructor helped this diver get out of his equipment and safely on shore, aided by other instructors and DMs who worked for his shop.

And though our instructor claims to be somewhat “jaded” about “dangerous divers” who risk others lives with a kind of aqua bravado, when push came to shove he was thoughtful and compassionate when this guy needed a hand. He was also a calming influence. The diver was phyiscally exhausted and clearly emotionally shaken from what had happened.

Our instructor could have lived up to his jaded proclamations, but he didn’t. He simply got him safe and courteously discussed the issue with him, leaving room for learning to take place and for diving to continue.

I can only hope to keep that human side in my diving if and when I reach 12,000 dives. I also hope that I can be as thoughtful with others who I might buddy with as you were with daughter.

Cheers!

Personally, I have called dives for everything from being bored to bad feelings to wishing I had a pee valve in my drysuit. And those are just the hokey reasons, not to mention gear issues, freezing, overheating, you name it. All of my buddies have done the same. If you are not having fun, why continue the dive? This is supposed to be enjoyable, not a forced routine.
On our boat, almost without fail, we have at least one or two new divers- first ocean dive, first deep dive, first wreck dive, basically something about the dive will be new. Invariably, they will back from 110 ft dive in 20 minutes or less, down to 600 psi or so, and embarassed about it. We always make a point to say "hey, its amazing how fast it goes when you are having this much fun", or something else to that extent. After the first couple dives they still come back with the same amount, but longer times, and proudly announce that they got 3 more minutes on that dive.....
As for the original poster's situation, it can be touchy, and you handled it very well. My wife and I were dropping into an abandoned quarry, nice long hike to the water, 85 degree day, steel doubles, a stage, and drysuits. It was killing us both, but she hit 'that point' before me. Looking back, the string of words out of her mouth were laughable, oh to have had a video. I always carry water to the water's edge, for hydration, so she had some of that, then, we dropped in past the first thermocline without hoods to cool down for a few. We then resurfaced, much refreshed, and went on to have a great dive. After, she said if we had tried to do an actual dive first thing, she would have been miserable, and have called it almost immediately. So, if you are ever in a situation like that again, try that.
-J

they will back from 110 ft dive in 20 minutes or less, down to 600 psi or so, and embarassed about it.

Why are they embarrassed?

Feeling you can call the dive without ridicule is important.I dive with my daughter and she has told me afterwards that she wanted to call but didnt.I try to make it easy on her so she dont get fatigued.Carts are great for hauling gear,but cant go everywhere.The more you dive the easier and enjoyable it becomes.At 18,shes got alot of other things going on now.Many divers dont call dives they would like because of money spent,vacation etc.Ear issues seem to be a reason I hear and I suspect some may use it to save face or protect their pride.Theres no way of knowing and it doesnt matter.Everything happens for a reason.

Last weekend, my daughter and I went diving in a local quarry. I am still under 100 dives on my card, and my daughter was only AOW certified last November. This was just a chance for us to dive together and we were going to take it very easy. Long story short, the combination of 7 mm wetsuit, hot day, long walk to beach, etc., wiped her out before we even hit the water. We were in the water no more than 10 minutes and she called the dive.

Out of the water she took it pretty hard. She felt she had let me down and ruined my day. I told her you learn something on every dive. And what we learned on this dive was that anyone can call a dive and that decision will be respected.

Tell her not to worry about it (or even give it a second thought). I've called a number of dives for all sorts of reasons:
  • The water looked too rough for me to be out on a boat.
  • One of my ears didn't feel quite right (not plugged up, just not "right")
  • Moldy hotel room air conditioner plugged up my sinuses
  • Buddy looked uncomfortable about the next dive.
  • Inflater hose tore off BC (DM wanted to "fix" it with duct tape for the second dive)
One of the hardest and most valuable things for a new diver to learn to do is when to not dive and when to abandon the current dive.

Terry

I just want to say thank you for all that I have learned (and continue to learn) from to honest compilation of near-misses, mistakes and hard knocks that have been posted here.

Last weekend, my daughter and I went diving in a local quarry. I am still under 100 dives on my card, and my daughter was only AOW certified last November. This was just a chance for us to dive together and we were going to take it very easy. Long story short, the combination of 7 mm wetsuit, hot day, long walk to beach, etc., wiped her out before we even hit the water. We were in the water no more than 10 minutes and she called the dive.

Out of the water she took it pretty hard. She felt she had let me down and ruined my day. I told her you learn something on every dive. And what we learned on this dive was that anyone can call a dive and that decision will be respected.

We have a liveaboard scheduled for late December. Will will dive again before then to build up our skills. But best of all, we learned something that day and I wanted to say thanks to you all for each time you reinforce this lesson.

You had a good dive with your daughter. Nobody got hurt, All of the gear came back and you learned something.

*She faced stress and knew enough to call the dive and you knew enough to honor her call. Those are both huge milestones.

For future reference I always keep a stockpile of 1/2 liter spring water bottles (refilled with tap water) at the door of the van. While gearing up or before heading for the entry one or two go down the collar. That amount of ambient temperature water in your suit will abosorb a huge amount of excess body heat, break the stress and get you into the water in good shape. On top of that your suit will be wetted out and your boots filled with warm water preventing the entry of outside water for the most part making for an easy transition.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom