I know this is subjective but... wetsuit thickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cork2win:
Thanks everyone. I'm sure you're right that 53 is COLD in the water. Dive and learn I suppose... I'm guessing we won't spend a ton of time at that depth, probably more the 30ft range which is reported to be 74 degrees. I guess if I'm warm in the 7mm I'll just do as you say and flood the suit. Or I'll ***** and moan and he'll send me home packing because he's tired of hearing my lip! :wink:

You should be very warm at 74 degrees with a 7mm. At that temperature, I would be happier with 3mm or 5mm. On the other hand, I know highly experienced divers who will wear 7mm at 80 degrees.

Wayward Son:
Stay out of the wind & take a thermos of hot drinks, coffee or hot chocolate, tea, whatever. The key then is to not let your core get cold.

I like to take a thermos of soup ... keeps warm, replinish the carbs as well.

Fresh water will usually feature dramatic thermoclines. Unless your penetration will be very brief it's best to dress for the coldest. In this case a 7mm, preferably with 2x on the core, 5mm gloves booties and a hood. It's a cold water dive anyway you look at it.

The warm water prime is a great method for starting a true coldwater dive on the right foot. In your scase you have a honeymoon period in the shallows that will let your body warm the wetness in your suit. But you do need to get to the water without suffering heat stress. Bring liter of ambient temperature water with you. As soon as you gear up pour it down your collar. On the warmest summer days I'll bring cold tapwater in a cooler. Most of it will pool above your weight belt, (if you have one) this will gently disipate excess heat while you make your way into the water.

We make these sorts of dives often. It's odd to leave the shore with an 80F+ air temperature and enter water almost as warm. It's refreshing to soon be in water at depth that may be in the mid 40s and to know that on the way back the warm water will greet you.

Pete

Where are you taking you OW dive? At Gilboa? I tried to dive at whitestar a week ago in a 3 mil shorty and I was freezing. I made my OW dives at Whitestar(couple weeks earler) in a 7mm farmer john and was perfect without the hood or gloves. Just wait until the last minute to put on your wetsuit and you'll be fine.

At 53 deg (and any unforseen thermoclines) 7 mil is definitely a must. How MUCH 7-mil, though, is a personal preference. Personally, I'd wear a 7-mil farmer john (with jacket) and a hood. I do not normally need/use gloves. While wearing too much neoprene can become hazardous, 53 degrees IS COLD--as many before me have stated. You can always flood your suit with cold-water, but you can never add another layer at 100 feet!:wink:

beach89:
Where are you taking you OW dive? At Gilboa? I tried to dive at whitestar a week ago in a 3 mil shorty and I was freezing. I made my OW dives at Whitestar(couple weeks earler) in a 7mm farmer john and was perfect without the hood or gloves. Just wait until the last minute to put on your wetsuit and you'll be fine.
Yeah, Gilboa. I got a killer deal on a Henderson Hyperstretch 7/5 full suit on Ebay so I'm hoping it makes it in time for the weekend. I think based on all the opinions here that should be good. I'm not sure how I feel about the hood/gloves. I hate to say "I don't need it" to the intstructor only to end up freezing. I guess I can wear it all on the first dive and see how it goes and if I'm too hot I'll just leave the hood/gloves off for the remaining dives. Things have cooled off significantly around here in the past week so if it stays this way I should be good.

cork2win:
I guess I can wear it all on the first dive and see how it goes and if I'm too hot I'll just leave the hood/gloves off for the remaining dives.

Embrace your neoprene, it is your friend and protector.

Seriously though... Diving to 53F water and you have a choice about protection? Here we do check-out dives in full gear and even need to do the pool work with hood and gloves starting in session 2. That's what it takes and that's that.

Getting cold is not just about being uncomfortable. It predisposes you to DCS and sets you up for hypothermia.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom