I know there are no stupid questions but.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you do that often? Do you take a snorkel along for bathtub dives? Do you use a spare air or a pony bottle? What is the NDL for your tub? How deep are your safety stops? Does PADI offer a bathtub diver cert?

:popcorn:

Never a snorkel. A real man doesn't use snorkel while diving.

NDL is infinity and beyond!!!

Spare air? Pony bottle? That's only for sissy. A real man uses a 65-CUFT steel tank.

Safety stops? Bah!!! It's 70-ft/minute ascension rate all the way, baby!!!

PADI will soon offer a bathtub diver specialty and possibly even a sink diver specialty as well. $75/each, please.

You don't know enough about diving half way through your OW class to really make an informed decision on anything. If you're going to dive an AL80 and a 3mil wetsuit in the same dive site for the rest of your life - then don't log dives. But if you're going to get serious about diving and take diving seriously, then it's probably a good idea to log them. At some point you're going to wish you had a log book.

You missed my point. I think logging is better than not logging. But, my point was that some people are never ever going to be dive loggers. And I know plenty of serious divers who do not log their divers. Actually more of those than new divers who do not log their dives.

Who actually takes dive logging seriously?

Most people are honest about their logs. And plenty of agencies require a certain amount of logged dives. I have had to write down a list of dives for a course as well as list my dive count a number of times (which they do say they might verify with a log but that hasn't happened to me).

People can lie of course, but in general I don't think people do. At least from what I have seen with the divers I know.

I'm glad I was able to spur some good conversation.

I understand a log book is for "me" but most of my diving will be on vacation and I would hope they would ask to see my log book, just like I would ask them the skill level of the dive they are taking me on.

I don't want to pad my log book but I think it is important to keep track of my dives. I will use the pool time to practice skills and I will keep track of those skills in the log book but not count them as dives.

I wasn't trying to say the instructor did a bad job and I understand why he wouldn't let us swim the bottom back to shore, I was just pointing out how ironic it seemed.

He never once said anything about log books or logging our OW dives. Like I said it was very rushed, he had little patients or personality but he did make sure everyone could complete the skills.

$75 for a tub course? Come to think of it, I was in the pool for about an hour. My head broke surface about 6 times. That would be 6 dives right? That's a good start to DM, I think I will start to look for a place to open a school. :)

Greetings Kevin316 and I log OW dives that are 20 min. or use 500psi.
If there is a important skill or training break through I will note it in my log book in the note section. I have had exceptional pool dives that are worthy of note taking.
As mentioned in earlier posts the logging of OW training dives should be a part of the training. What you do after that is up to you I suppose. I have found logging dives to be well worth the effort and a requirement for some tech classes. Of coarse the instructor does a student skill evaluation check out dive to determine whether or not to take the trainee into the class. But that is another thread.
Good luck and safe diving.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Never a snorkel. A real man doesn't use snorkel while diving.

NDL is infinity and beyond!!!

Spare air? Pony bottle? That's only for sissy. A real man uses a 65-CUFT steel tank.

Safety stops? Bah!!! It's 70-ft/minute ascension rate all the way, baby!!!

PADI will soon offer a bathtub diver specialty and possibly even a sink diver specialty as well. $75/each, please.

:coffee:Kinda mean there dude... with an overpriced and as some believe (not necessarily me) over rated but yet still reliable name. :shocked2:

:coffee:Kinda mean there dude... with an overpriced and as some believe (not necessarily me) over rated but yet still reliable name. :shocked2:

I can't help it if PADI Police has a catchy ring to it. BTW, I'm PADI certified, so I think that I can make fun of my own agency, not that it doesn't deserve being made fun of by having a bunch of silly "specialty" courses.

I'm glad I was able to spur some good conversation.

I understand a log book is for "me" but most of my diving will be on vacation and I would hope they would ask to see my log book, just like I would ask them the skill level of the dive they are taking me on.

My experiance vacation diving in the pacific is the DM's generally do want to see your log book.

And once again, I ask, if a diver were to fake the log book, then how's the DM going to know?

And once again I will answer.

The Dive Op wants to see a logbook to cover their A$$ and maybe because they are just extra cautious and want to be sure that divers in their care have a positive experience. And maybe to protect their reputation by avoiding unecessary "incidents".

If a diver's going to fake a logbook at least they can tell themselves, and their insurance company that they were shown a fabricated logbook.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom