I Kill Shearwaters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
My second Shearwater Petrel 2 quit working yesterday. The right button will not respond to touch. This is the second time that has happened. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

The dive shop owner where I got the computer is sending it back for repair. He asked if I would like a Perdix instead on his dime. He also sells Dive Rite. I'm considering saying, "You know, I'll take a Q or an old UWATEC digital depth gauge and bottom timer instead if your generosity wouldn't be offended by the swap."

Curious Trace what Shearwater has said when things have gone back to them?
Thanks.

I'll trade you an Uwatec bottom timer for whatever you get back from Shearwater. :wink:
Me, too, and I will buy a new one to make the swap.

My second Shearwater Petrel 2 quit working yesterday. The right button will not respond to touch. This is the second time that has happened. Has anyone else experienced this problem?...
I had that happen. First slow and intermittent response then no response. Gave it a good long soak and has worked fine since.

The dive shop owner gave me a new Perdix and is going to just get a replacement Petrel 2 from Shearwater and put it up for sale. The same owner dealt with Shearwater on my behalf in the past. I don't know what their response was, but he's been in the industry since 1963 and I think he is the E.F. Hutton of diving. If you recall those old commercials, "When E.F. Hutton talks, people listen."

You kill Shearwaters, I kill any dive computer made by Seiko (grrr) but then I think it's mainly their fault. Four of them so far.

Shearwater came through with excellent customer service and upgraded me a complimentary unlock code for VPM on the Perdix. I had purchased it for the Petrel so they wanted me to have it without needing to buy it again.

Shearwater are great at customer service. Their product is great too, thats why I have 3 of them. 2 Petrel and a Predator

Shearwater came through with excellent customer service and upgraded me a complimentary unlock code for VPM on the Perdix. I had purchased it for the Petrel so they wanted me to have it without needing to buy it again.
Very nice of them; shows attention to detail. Do you use VPM model on your dives?

Back
Top Bottom