I have become that which I loathed, a....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the Great Lakes, people generally do not pillage wrecks - or at least not publicly - unlike other places.

If you so much as remove a spike from a Canadian wreck in the Lakes, you're in serious doodoo... I believe it's the same in the US.

They can also become great reefs but my heart is still always a bit sad.
Yes, that's what I hear about purposely sank wrecks that become artificial reefs. It was explained to me once why fish and other creatures increase their numbers around these wrecks, but I can never really grasp it. Where were these fishes before the wreck was there? Wouldn't predators increase as well as prey? I've always thought these ships were sunk because it's cheaper than junking them on land--even though they at times spend some $ making them safe for divers, and claim they are a benefit to sea life. I've always felt other creatures do very well without the "help" of man (says the shell collector....).

If you so much as remove a spike from a Canadian wreck in the Lakes, you're in serious doodoo... I believe it's the same in the US.
Just curious-- Who is around at the sites to check for people taking stuff from the wrecks? Who does this, police? How often do they patrol the areas (ie., what are your chances of getting caught?)
I fish standing stomach/chest high in the Hudson River in NY each summer in a place with currents, so it is "forbidden". Twice in 15 years a patrol boat has come by and kicked me out. And I heard that was because of previous swimming deaths, most likely due to idiocy regarding the often strong but simple straight current. Patrols coming twice all those years is not very often.

Just curious-- Who is around at the sites to check for people taking stuff from the wrecks? Who does this, police? How often do they patrol the areas (ie., what are your chances of getting caught?)
Honestly, nobody. Here in Tobermory, most of the area is National Park. The Park has two patrol boats, but in these days of fiscal restraint, they rarely leave the dock except in an emergency. So the "patrol" aspect is largely replaced by education but also fellow divers ratting thieves out. There is nothing of value on these wrecks anyway, and I'm sure that spikes and lumps of coal go home with some.

There was a situation a few years ago in Lake Erie where some guys from the US had come across into Canadian waters. A Canadian boat happened to come across them as they were hoisting the wheel from an old schooner into the boat. They took off of course, but a report to the Canadian authorities led to their arrest in the States. I forget the upshot of what happened to them, but the wheel was restored to it's proper resting place.

I get your point though, and to be honest, it's mostly relying on peoples' common sense not to steal artifacts.

Charter boats won't put up with it. If there is an issue, they are at great risk. Private boats are the issue. Thing is, if word gets out somehow, there can be charges...

What is the point of hiding it in your basement?

I thought I heard that you can "treasure hunt" in Nova Scotia.

I thought I heard that you can "treasure hunt" in Nova Scotia.
Hence my specification "in the (Great) Lakes". I don't know the law as it pertains to the ocean, but I suspect you may be right.

Back
Top Bottom