I have a couple bulging discs any divers with this problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi tomboyy,

Exhaust all conservative treatments before considering anything invasive. And by invasive, I mean anything that requires puncturing the skin :wink:

A surprising percentage of the population over age 40 does have mild-to-moderate bulging lumbar discs, and are asymptomatic.

Depending on the severity, many folks are able to manage and in some cases completely relieve their symtoms through weight loss, core strengthening exercises, and flexibility training (think yoga). But it requires a major lifestyle change for many folks.

Back surgery should be an absolute last resort. There are cases where surgery is a good (or the only) choice, but if your primary symptom is pain, and the pain is "manageable", and there are no neurologic deficits, then consider conservative treatment first, and surgical intervention last.

But please do not consider any internet advice (including mine!) to be a substitute for talking this over with your doctor, and with other doctors (I strongly advise 2nd and even 3rd opinions before considering surgery).

Good luck, and hang in there!

Best wishes.

+1 :thumb:

tomboyy, read and research and train yourself. Lead_Turn has some good advice, and there are many of us that manage well, and will continue to manage well, without surgery.

Interesting that I just found this. I am going in for a back surgury Laminectomy/Discectomy of the L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1 discs December 28th.

I exausted every other option up to this point. Accupuncture, Chiro, PT, steriod injections, epidurals, traction, massage therapy, electrical stimulation and a slew of drugs. I rarely got relief from any of the above. I've been to the ER via ambulance so many times due to my back being in severe pain...To the point where I cannot even wiggle my toe without it sending extreme pain through my body.

I was hoping that i could fix this without drugs or surgery but it is truely the last resort. The Dr. says it will take 3 or so months to get back to "normal".

After 10 years of fighting neck pain and ensuing areas of paralisis, I just had the plastic w/fused titanium plate installed in 2 neck discs. [one heniated pushing on nerves, one looked like exploded bird sh*t on your deck].
Hurt like a mofo for 2 days after surgery, getting better every day. Done aug 15 , I am almost well. New technology saved my ass. Done by Dr Powers of the Washington Brain and Spine Institute. Took him 2 hours to remove all the broken parts, 1/2 hr to install new parts. They actuall not only pre drill the pilot hole for the screws, but use a micro tap and pre thread the holes in the bone too.
Pix is of a model of what they do. unbelievable how much better I feel and I work as a landscaper/ tree farmer. ie lots of heavy work . Plastic [PEET I think was the product name] was the way to go for me. zero rejection , fast healing

Attachments

• wpneck.jpg
    wpneck.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 73
Greetings Tomboyy and I hope that all went well for you with your treatment.
TSandM is spot on once again IMO and I took quite the same approach to my injury.
I was injured at work, yes workmans comp and what a bunch of hoops to jump through!
L5 was ruptured as Merxlin's was it was unbearable at times and it would come and go for no apparent reason.
L4 was bulged but not putting any pressure on nerves.
Treatment was muscle relaxers, pain pills with possible injections if need be.

12 months of pain everyday and finally could not stand it anymore.
Consulted with the Orthopedist and the prognosis was bleak.
Surgery here we go or so I thought.
My boss offered to send me to a physical therapist / sports doctor.
What did I have to loose? Nothing!
In one week of intensive exercising, stretching, and massage I was with out pain!
NO JOKE! I lost 15-20 pounds and was elated I avoided the surgery.

This was pre-diving injury and I have had to return to the therapist once for the back issues. But for the most part I have been pain free for over 5 years.
I will not easily forget the searing pain in my right leg or the unbearable pain in my male members that was caused by the pinched nerve!

I feel for you brother do what you have to and I hope it all goes well!
Please let us know how it went.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom