I have a 3mm but need more?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gator Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Good news. I lost weight. Bad news...I am now getting cold
on my dives. I really notice it now if I do two spring dives (72F),
especially on the second dive. I have been diving with a 3mm one piece but
want to know if I should add 0.5mm or 1mm underneath my 3mm
or if I should get something to put over the 3mm suit I use.
Thanks.

If you aren't wearing a hood or beanie you could try that before adding other wetsuit layers. I find even a 3mm beanie that just covers part of my head makes a tremendous difference in warmth (of course, you might not have a big bald spot like me .....).

I'm a warm-water-wuss and move up to a 5mm wetsuit around 76 of 77F.

Our water in Hawaii gets about 72 F in the winter and many of us find that a 3mm vest with a hood is perfect. I personally like the whole Henderson hyperstetch line because it is so easy to get on and off and if you go up and down a little weightwise, it is still like a custom fit. My friends give me a hard time for changing into a dry suit for the second dive (another 3mm or 5mm) but I find being dry during my surface interval makes a huge difference. The other thing is then your wetsuits last twice as long so it is not really an extravegance. I consider myself an quite an expert on comfort...

Oops, Sorry, I forgot to mention that I do dive with a beanie.
So, that brings me back to square one. Underwear? or overwear?

If you're just looking for an added edge I's slip a hooded vest under there.
It will:
* Reduce any back zipper seepage
* Give full neck coverage
* Eliminate neck openeing seepage
* Warm your core
* Cover your head, as your beanie does.

Bare has a nice selection.

I find that my limps and extremeties can be much more comfortable as long as my core is truly protected.

Pete

newbie-in-fl:
Oops, Sorry, I forgot to mention that I do dive with a beanie.
So, that brings me back to square one. Underwear? or overwear?

They can be had for not much more than a new skin if you shop around.

My buddy just sold an almost new (like 2 dives on it) Bare 5mm suit on Ebay for under $100. He actually paid $65 I believe from an LDS during a blowout sale. It had no tags, no warranty, but so what, it fit.

Divers Direct often has deals on suits. There is an outlet in Largo near (just north) of Aquanuts, and one in WPB, likely more. I saw some nice full suits for under $100, but was not in the market.

A skin will also help, but the nice skins I've seen are almost as much as a full suit (assuming you get a bargin on the full suit).

Here is option for new...
http://www.unrealfind.com/Merchant2...PROD&Product_Code=wet68&Category_Code=011mall
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Item.../Sort_SKU/DescSort_0/Filter_4=241/MRSTEM.html

I used a shorty over my 3mm wetsuit for extra warmth. I also used a hood, and that made a much bigger difference, but a shorty isn't bad either. My wetsuit is sort of tight though, so I don't think I'd have room for 'underwear', but if I did, then I imagine that would be a better option.

I have a Bare 7mm hooded and an O'Neill 3mm that I use a seperate hood with. When I do Ginnie the 7 is the warmest for the longest but a pain to zip up by myself. The O'Neill with hood keeps me tolerable on the second dive but that's about the limit for warmth. I'm going with the 3mm and hood at Blue Grotto Saturday.

I'm thinking of either getting a vest to wear under the Bare or buying a neoprene dry suit for the coldest times.

newbie-in-fl:
Good news. I lost weight. Bad news...I am now getting cold
on my dives. I really notice it now if I do two spring dives (72F),
especially on the second dive. I have been diving with a 3mm one piece but
want to know if I should add 0.5mm or 1mm underneath my 3mm
or if I should get something to put over the 3mm suit I use.
Thanks.

I also lost weight, and my 3mm was a bit loose. I also wear a beanie. What I found that I LOVE is a 3mm core warmer that I wear UNDER my 3mm fullsuit. people make fun of me on liveaboards in 80+ degree water - on the first day. By the night dive on the third day, no one is laughing anymore.

Back
Top Bottom