I have a 10 year old Ranger..Wife thinks I should replace it...what would you do??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rboyer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Ranger that I have had for close to 10 years and have TONS of dives on it.( I know I should log them but I don't) I keep it in Roatan Honduras year round and my wife thinks I should bring it home and trade it in for a new one. I really like this BCD and Im pretty attached to it However its been getting a little big over the last couple of years. I have lost about 50+ lbs and its a hair loose on me now. I'm wondering if I should buy smaller panels and have the entire thing rebuilt by Zeagle and keep it or have it serviced and then put it up for sale and get me a new one. As far as I know it has zero problems its bladder is not yellowing and all the dumps are tight. I have no idea what a full rebuild would run but I don't like bringing it back home due to weight. I know it seems like a strange question but I figured Id see what you all would do if you was in my shoes.

If it is only a little loose, you can add a lumbar pad to it, which will take up some room.

If the waist panels are set in the smallest position, you would have to replace the vest section to get it tighter - and by the time you do that, you may as well just buy a new BC, because that is about the most expensive part of the BC!

Hope that helps a little...

Scott

Scott,
It has a lumbar pad in it already. So I'll have to see how loose it is when I get down there in about 4 weeks. I hope it's not to loose that way I have the option to keep it if I choose to do so.

I'd hang onto it. we had two Rangers we bought in 1998, 14 years and about 1200 dives on mine made it comfortable beyond belief. We recently lost everything to the Bastrop Texas wildfires and one of the pains is having to replace a well worn friend for a new one. It is modular so you could always go smaller on parts of it.

Ya I'm really chomping at the bit to try it on! Yes I know what you mean about a BCD being worn in....It is very comfortable...I think the wife might have been feeling bad maybe and thought i needed a new one because I got rid of her old BCD last year, that we had acquired from a buddy and bought her a brand new Zeagle Zena..and she LOVES it!!

Sounds like a real plausable idea (about the wife feelings). Mine is over ten years old and i love it, its to small and thats the only thing with it. I would keep it, and get it serviced. There is no need to replace a piece of equipment that is still going strong. Good luck with the slack and i hope its not the vest section...

I know what you mean, I love my 8 year old Rangerlittle over a thousand dives and has traveled all over the Philippines with me.

Hope you get to keep it...

Cheers,
Roger

I think your wife ought to get down on her knees and give thanks for her husband . . . I mean, who ever heard of someone not using a spouse-given excuse to buy new dive gear? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom