I hate my snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drwendy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Time to buy a new one. My current one (which is a cheapie brand X that came with my entry set of gear) rubs my bottom gums when I swim. I want to buy a new one that will be comfortable. I don't need anything fancy, just a comfortable snorkel that won't rub. Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi Dr,

I've got a Tusa Imprex Purge that has done the trick. cheap and does what it should though I recall reading a review that noted the flexible rubber lower came loose from the bore.

I've had no problems but that review has stuck with me and made me consider trying a 1 piece freediver style...

Ignoring snorkels with changeable mouthpieces ($$), I can recommend the DeepSee Flexstream. Simple; low-mass mouthpiece; bottom purge; no upper works. And the ribbed body holds the keeper where you want it. It's what I wear when teaching open water courses.
Bryan

I also have used the Tusa Imprex and Platina. Small comfortable mouthpieces.

Aqua Lung Impulse 3 uses the comfobite mouthpiece. Very comfortable mouthpiece, but huge snorkle.

I got them from LeisurePro and SCUBAToys.

I have always been a fan of the US Divers (now AquaLung) Impulse 2. Nice wide bore with two purges that make it super easy clearing. You can find them in dive shops and on eBay. I think a benefit to you personally would be the comfo-bite mouth piece it comes with. Soft silicon, but not so soft you'll bite through it, and very comfortable grip. I prefer the solid verse flex tube myself, as it's less strain on the jaw to keep the mouth piece in your mouth. The flex tube causes the mouthpiece to want to be out of your mouth, so there is a constant, albeit very slight, force that you are working against all the time with flex tube models. The flex also shimmies around when you're swimming against a current or rough water, where as the solid tube doesn't have this issue. Anyway I hope this helps!

One without a purge. Go old school, if you take a rescue course you will find other uses for it as well. IMO skills such as snorkel clearing are extremely important as you really need to use your tongue as a splash guard. If you are comfortable clearing a snorkel the purge on the bottom is not needed. A simple mares snorkel will do you fine.

Safe diving,

AZ

Cressi Delta I: Comfortable, simple, and no gadgets that will break.

Greetings "drwendy" a uncomfortable snorkel is a problem indeed! I find the Tunsa imprex II hyperdry to be very comfortable and easy to clear. I also believe the mouth piece can be replaced if need be. I like to snorkel and I use it every dive, I have not had any problems yet. If you can try a variety of them before you buy. I know this is not always possible but everyone is a little different so find the one that works best for you! I am certain that your perfect snorkel awaits you out there somewhere! Good luck and enjoy shopping for it. LDS or on line check them out. CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom