I Give up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
Slip,
You're going to think I'm crazy, but you won't be the first. . .

If you have access to a pool in which you can "dive", go get a tank of air, gear up submerge and just sit in the shallow end for a bit, move to the middle for a bit, and then go stake out a corner in the deep end for the remainder.

Don't do anything, just sit there.

There is method behind my madness. I'll tell ya what it is after you do this - iffin you don figger it out in the meantime.

the K

Addition, while your staked out in that corner of the pool, work on slow deep breathing
with long exhales. Concentrate on your breathing, make it second nature.

slipslop:
i am thinking of giving up scuba diving. i am getting about 20 minutes of air time from a cylinder. I did my peak performancy boyancy course, got my weighting, buoyancy and trim just right yet i am still only getting 20 minutes dive time. When i started diving people told me my air consumption would improve the more i dived, well it hasnt and i am getting very frustrated. when i tell potential dive buddies my problem they just pair up with someone else, not that i blame them. maybe in the near future someone will invent a lightweight, double volume cylinder but until then i am giving scuba diving a miss

Dont give up! Any time is better then none dont you think? Im a hoover also and I do feel bad when I cut a buddys dive short but more often then not they are very understanding. My problem is I get so excited when I see how gorgeous it is and all the pretty fish I suck to much air lol. Just dont give up :)

padrediver:
Am I missing something here? No mention of cylinder size. No mention of
PSI at fill. Perhaps this person doesn't belong in the water in the first place?
Only goes to 18 meters? That's about 2bar/atm. Twenty minutes on an 80
is just a bit less than average on a 60 ft. dive.

Its very easy to do 20 mins on an 80 under the certain circumstances. So those of us who happen to fall into that catagory dont belong in the water? even if we are safe divers who strive to get better?

ScubaTwo:
Its very easy to do 20 mins on an 80 under the certain circumstances. So those of us who happen to fall into that catagory dont belong in the water? even if we are safe divers who strive to get better?

Touche, Bravo! That is what we all strive for, I hope.

Try working on your cardio above water! Jogging, biking and aerobic swimming will do wonders for your bottom time! :D

padrediver:
Only goes to 18 meters? That's about 2bar/atm. Twenty minutes on an 80
is just a bit less than average on a 60 ft. dive.

Maybe I'm "nit-picking" but wouldn't that be almost 3ata?

I took 2 divers out a couple of months ago - we never got past 20 ft. (average depth was about 12ft) and had to surface after 24 min. because one of them was down to 400 psi... Aluminum 80 - so it happens... no reason to give up... lots of reason to dive more though :wink:

Keep at it!

Aloha, Tim

The biggest thing is comfort, get use to your gear and relax. I personally like a mask with a nose purge, this way I can take a slow deep breath, puase 1-2 seconds and slowly exhale out my nose. But I have found that environment is a big factor in breathing. Just the other week I got into low vis and got disorientated and from my 2200 start psi (72/steel) sucked down to 1700 in 5 min before I "got control" then when I relaxed and still pulled 45 min out of the dive.

The biggest thing I have found on time is comfort/experience. You might get kidded a bit about being an air hog, but you need to just go out and do it, repetivaly and often, then it will come, just work on being relaxed and comfortable with your gear and surroundings. To help keep interest in the sport, I personally have cut dives short to help new divers find a comfort level. If you can't find someone in your area willing to do this, especailly a shop owner/instructor it is a sad statment and let the rest of us know and I will get my dive crew to contact them asking why. I have to give a lot of credit to my local shop, the owner will make a 10 minute dive with someone to help them get experience. Personally I got my first dry suit in the last 2 weeks and the first time out I sucked air. I went from 45-55 minutes with a 72/steel in 45 degree water to 25 minutes. But he was there to help me with the adjustment and questons since he has been drysuit diving for years. I now have 3 dives and the last one was for 40 minutes not that I know what to expect, but I know once I go below 70 feet I will probably get "uncomfortable" and suck air, the first time or two.

I don't know how many dive shop choices you have in your area. But any good owner will go out of their way to help new divers.

ScubaTwo:

That's what I was saying....twenty on an 80 isn't all that bad...he didn't say he was using an 80...or what he was using. A 63? a 102?

These are all great tips and each one you integrate will decrease your air consumption. On a practical level, though, you must get a larger tank in the interim. Otherwise, nobody will dive with you so that you get the opportunity to practice the techniques of an experienced diver. Just knowing you have enough air to finish a dive with everone else will allow you to relax even more and, guess what, use less air. If you are a large person you may never reach normal levels (moving a large mass simply takes more energy no matter how fit you are).

00scuba:
i have 160+ dives and just got a dry suit. I noticed my air consumption increased a bit because it was something new i was doing and my comfort level was not 100%.....but I expect that to improve with every dive.

Hi Sandy, which type of drysuit did you go with. Do you like it better than wetsuits. Debating on going with drysuit over wetsuit since I figure they last way longer with the right care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom