I freaked on OW dive 4, will it get better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingDoll

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had a great time in the pool, but we did our OW dives in a crater and the water was dark and the whole thing was kinda creepy. I was fine the first day, a little creeped by the darkness, but I did the skills and it went well I think. Day 2 started out funny because I couldn't seem to get heavy enough to descend (with the same weight and gear as day one). One of the instructors said I wasn't exhaling completely, out of fear or panic, so I couldn't really drop. He is probably right because I was felt that way too.

Well, I did all of the skills and then came the mask removal. I couldn't get my bouyancy right and felt myself going up, so I panicked, lost my mask, and had to slowly ascend the rope with the instructor (because I freaked out at that moment). I felt myself totally panic in my mind, but I felt safe with the instructor, which is a huge testament to the hours and hours of training you dive masters and instructors put in to your work. I knew he wouldn't let me get hurt. So after beating myself up on the surface I went back down, did the skill twice, and felt silly for freaking out in the first place.

My question is this: I really enjoyed the pool time, and I love swimming, so can I find a comfort with scuba diving in the right water conditions? Anyone else out there start with a level of fear that has gone away after experience? I really want to keep going and dive in clearer water, off of a coast somewhere or something. Someone tell me they felt the way I did, and they are now great divers, please :)

Don't worry. With time and experience, I'm sure you'll overcome your fear of diving in dark or low vis settings. I can't say that I was ever afraid of diving in those conditions. However, I was less willing to dive in those conditions...because I didn't realize there was so much aquatic life to see. Now that I know this, night dives are my favorite dives and I don't mind diving in our local waters which often have 5-10 ft. visibility.

By the way, mask clearing is the #1 skill that OW students have issues with. You weren't the first student to freak out a little during the mask remove and replace. It's very common for divers to not be completely comfortable underwater without a mask. Even after class is over, I'd recommend taking every opportunity to practice mask clearing.

Welcome to the sport!

You are correct in your implicit assumption: generally speaking, diving in clear tropical water with minimal gear is much, much easier and less stressful than low-visibility or cold-water diving, especially for new divers. Did your instructor certify you? If so, consider some more pool time and then a tropical destination with a divemaster to buddy with you and hold your hand--literally if need be--through the first couple of dives. Your divemaster should be devoting all of his attention to you, with no other responsibilities (you pay extra). The big risk in this strategy is you'll never want to dive near Boulder again.

My ex-wife freaked on her first dive and bolted for the surface, then went a few years without diving. When she was ready, she went back and got better training and became a skilled, comfortable diver. It is hard to evaluate the quality of your training, but perhaps a slower-paced course might be in order.

overcoming the mask clear issues on your subsequent attempts is proof positive that you are able to command your mind right??

well the elation of getting through the skills in a "crater" will fade from memory the first time you fall in the water some place re-known for their diving. If you go warm water, you are in for a serious treat. It honest to god is VERY similar to the pool conditions +critters and structures to look at. It seems even closer to the pool conditions when you look at it from the context of the diving you just did being at the polar opposite of the spectrum of diving.

If you decide to try cold water, some places offer more challenging conditions than what you encountered at the crater. But with those challenges come two things: EXPERIENCE-- you will become a better diver much faster in challenging situations than your "exact same # of dives but in warm water" counterpart, and; THINGS TO SEE-- there is typically more nature to see in most every ocean dive than there is to be found in freshwater 'training' sites. This is not ALWAYS a rule, (so quarry fans can put away their flamethrowers now) but it is quite typical. Example: the water at a resort up here on West Coast Canada was 150'+ viz the other week when one of my friends was out... Port Hardy 2010 - a set on Flickr

just remember your training has given you both a licence and obligation to yourself to keep learning and advancing your skills... part of that will be to expand where you dive.

Enjoy finding out about what the rest of Planet Earth has in store for you!!

Tiffany,

If you approached day 2 with just a little anxiety and fatigue you could very well have been holding back on the exhale. It may have been some other little thing like not venting the BC perfectly, some have tricks to get them empty.

Ascending the rope with the instructor knowing you were going to be OK is not what I would call panic. You hit the boundary of your comfort zone and wanted out. You then went down and accomplished the goal.

Diving is very much an adaptive activity and diving in cold water & limited visibility is about as tough as it gets. You can pretty much assume that it ALL gets better from here! There is a saying here in the northeast (probably used elsewhere too) that if you can dive here, you can dive anywhere. What you described puts you in that league.

When my wife & I were preparing to certify a friend told us that learning to dive is nothing like diving. Think about it..... Your certification dives essentially amounted to mitigating a lifetime of diving incidents. You did this in a strange world with very limited experience. Repeated exposure develops tolerance and frequent diving with some occasional skill drills builds confidence. Future dives will be exploring where you want at the pace you want.

You have earned the divers equivalent to a drivers learning permit. It won't be long before your local water get comfortable and outstanding diving is always a trip away. I do urge you to make a place in your life to be an active local diver. I bet there really is some neat stuff down there. Diving frequently is the key to becoming a safe & proficient diver.

Stay active and pick your times and places to dive. If it's not going to be nice don't go. A cloudy day after lots of rain may indicate poor visibility. A bright summer midday may make the site a whole different experience.

Be sure to build a network of buddies starting with your local shop and dive club. Don't drop the ball. You paid your dues with an early spring certification now you have a whole summer season to become the diver you want to be.

Pete

I would agree that you didnt panic at all just reached you limit. You pushed past it and went on at least you can do a mask clear be extreamly proud of that. Some of us newbies cant do that at all. so give yourself a pat on the back.

DivingDoll:
I had a great time in the pool, but we did our OW dives in a crater and the water was dark and the whole thing was kinda creepy. I was fine the first day, a little creeped by the darkness, but I did the skills and it went well I think. Day 2 started out funny because I couldn't seem to get heavy enough to descend (with the same weight and gear as day one). One of the instructors said I wasn't exhaling completely, out of fear or panic, so I couldn't really drop.
He is probably right because I was felt that way too.

It sounds like you don't have confidence in yourself as a diver.

DivingDoll:
Well, I did all of the skills and then came the mask removal. I couldn't get my bouyancy right and felt myself going up, so I panicked, lost my mask, and had to slowly ascend the rope with the instructor (because I freaked out at that moment). I felt myself totally panic in my mind, but I felt safe with the instructor, which is a huge testament to the hours and hours of training you dive masters and instructors put in to your work. I knew he wouldn't let me get hurt.

You are OK with diving as long as there is someone you trust to take care of you.

DivingDoll:
I really enjoyed the pool time, and I love swimming, so can I find a comfort with scuba diving in the right water conditions?

Yes, if you build your confidence in you. Right now you need to depend on someone else to keep you safe. You will not be comfortable diving until that someone on who you depend is you. You need to work on your skills. Practice them until they are second nature to you.

My wife had almost the exact same experience. Dark murky cold water for OW checkout. Very clausterphobic and very uncomfortable with accomplishing skills in that environment. But she gutted through it. 3 dives later she was exploring the upper railing of the Hilma Hooker in Bonaire and loving every minute of it. Just bear down and tell yourself you can (because you can) and do it. And when you get to warmer water and better vis, it will all be so easy. Just make sure that you take some time with your buddy in shallow water or with a DM to give yourself a quick refresher on your skills so they are fresh. Never stop trying to be a better diver just because you have a card in your wallet.

Good luck!

Hey Tiffany,

My wife started out almost the same way as you. Today she loves diving in blue clear water. She does not like caves, she does not like night diving but she loves her style of diving which is really what it is all about. She also panicked on her second ow checkout dive. What she later concluded was that the reason she panicked was due to the fact that she quit thinking at that moment instead to working through the problem. Since then she has used that memory to remind her to think through the situation.

Back
Top Bottom