I freaked on OW dive 4, will it get better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a great time in the pool, but we did our OW dives in a crater and the water was dark and the whole thing was kinda creepy. I was fine the first day, a little creeped by the darkness, but I did the skills and it went well I think. Day 2 started out funny because I couldn't seem to get heavy enough to descend (with the same weight and gear as day one). One of the instructors said I wasn't exhaling completely, out of fear or panic, so I couldn't really drop. He is probably right because I was felt that way too.

Well, I did all of the skills and then came the mask removal. I couldn't get my bouyancy right and felt myself going up, so I panicked, lost my mask, and had to slowly ascend the rope with the instructor (because I freaked out at that moment). I felt myself totally panic in my mind, but I felt safe with the instructor, which is a huge testament to the hours and hours of training you dive masters and instructors put in to your work. I knew he wouldn't let me get hurt. So after beating myself up on the surface I went back down, did the skill twice, and felt silly for freaking out in the first place.

My question is this: I really enjoyed the pool time, and I love swimming, so can I find a comfort with scuba diving in the right water conditions? Anyone else out there start with a level of fear that has gone away after experience? I really want to keep going and dive in clearer water, off of a coast somewhere or something. Someone tell me they felt the way I did, and they are now great divers, please :)
Think of it this way ... you have a well-developed sense of self-preservation. That will serve you well in years to come. And there's absolutely no reason that you can't enjoy those years scuba diving.

Based on what you described, I'd say that what you experienced is a reflex all of us humans are born with. When you removed your mask, the water touching your nostrils made it feel like your regulator was breathing wet. It (probably) wasn't ... but it feels that way. Some people react to that sensation stronger than others ... but we all experience it to some degree when we first start diving. You probably didn't notice it in the pool because the sensation is greater in colder water. I've had many students who were fine in the pool, but who reacted to this sensation during their checkout dives.

The good news is that our brains adapt. With time, practice and a little bit of patience you can "re-wire" your brain so that it doesn't react that way. One way I used to handle it with my students was to have them practice removing their mask in chest-deep water and putting their (maskless) face in the water, reg in mouth, and just breathing. If it starts to feel uncomfortable, stand up, take a short break, and try it again. Repeat this exercise until you can stand there with your face in the water, breathing off your regulator for as long as you want to.

Make sure you have someone with you who's paying attention to you ... but it's a simple exercise that will help you adapt and develop a comfort to not having your mask on.

And welcome to one of the most wondrous activities we landborn mammals will ever experience ... may you enjoy it for decades into the future ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well I panicked on my OWC..

I was doing my second OWD and got water in my mask, I went to clear it and well freaked out when I wasn’t doing it right, I wasn’t paying attention to my buoyancy and ended up surfacing from 25 ‘.... I had a small headache and stayed out of the water for two weeks... I felt so bad because the instructor cut the dive short for the other students and we had a surface swim because of me. Thanks to my instructor being supportive we did a pool dive and I got more comfortable with the skill. Now I clear my mask at the start of every dive.
As far as the vis goes... Cold water can sometimes offer the best vis in the world. Take BC for instance in the winter the vis is amassing..
I know you will love diving in the right concisions and with a trusted dive buddy..

Katie K

One way I used to handle it with my students was to have them practice removing their mask in chest-deep water and putting their (maskless) face in the water, reg in mouth, and just breathing. If it starts to feel uncomfortable, stand up, take a short break, and try it again. Repeat this exercise until you can stand there with your face in the water, breathing off your regulator for as long as you want to.

Another thing that I know works very well is laps in a pool with a snorkel. Laps in the pool breathing off the snorkel get your brain used to mouth breathing when actually breathing harder from a little effort and then the anxiety will be much less when you come to remove the mask in the water. In the end that is what helped me out many years ago. In fact I still do it in my back yard pool when I cannot dive.

One of my students had the same problem with the mask removal skill.
She was OK in the pool but she was panicking in the ocean (colder and darker water there).

We kept practicing the skill over and over until she managed to overcome her fear.

IMHO mask removal, along with proper buoyancy control, is one of the most important skills to master; keep practicing it (with an instructor, a dive master or a trusted and qualified diver) until you feel comfortable and can remove, clear and replace the mask while swimming along your buddy - without stopping :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

On my pool training, mask clearing was fine. Removing and putting the mask completely back on was a problem the first time.

I had just done my partial and fully filled mask clearings. A little water rushed into my nose. I removed the mask and water went gushing into my nose, filling my sinuses.

I breathed in air from the reg and blew it out through my nose...expecting it to clear the water...mask off and in my hand.

I cleared some, but not all, so I did it again...same result. I decided to put the mask on and try to clear my nose.

I got the mask to the bridge of my nose and water trickled down my throat. I breathed in from the reg and tried to clea a third time.

The third time, when I blew the air out of my nose, it was like bursting a bubble blocking the way. Water poured into my throat through my nose freely. I signalled tot he DM that I was going up(15' of water int he pool) and surfaced to blow the water out with surface air.

I coughed and began worrying that I failed the course. Instead, once I cleared the water out, I went back down and repeated the maneuver correctly. THink I will try pinching my nose when I have to do this again. I have rather large nostrils so water seems to seep in rather quickly.

THink I will try pinching my nose when I have to do this again. I have rather large nostrils so water seems to seep in rather quickly.

I would not fall back on this for a long term solution. In fact, I would make getting comfortable with no mask breathing a high priority for yourself. The last thing you want to do is have the anchor line knock your mask off in heavy currents or surge and you have to let go to pinch your nose. Do yourself the favour and work with the suggestions given here and by your Instructor.

My OW training story was similar to yours but as I said earlier, I trained my brain to close the nostrils by doing laps while breathing through a snorkel and then on the bottom of the pool and then mid water column. This worked for me.....find what works for you.

I too freaked out with the mask clearing exercise, but mine was in the pool. I eventually got over it. It sounds to me that the place you were diving at for your open water is just not the place for you. I live in Illinois and dive in both hot and cold water. I must say that there are times when the water is clearer on somedays and murky on others, but it is all about your comfort level. My best suggestion to you is not to dive in places that might freak you out or if you see a section of water when you are under that makes you undcomfortable then change your direction. Make sure that you communicate where you might be uncomfortable with your dive buddy before you dive, so if they are leading you don't end up in a situation where you might freak out. You may also want to invest in a tank bagger for communicating under water. Happy diving!!!!!:banana:

Tiffany,

I had almost the same experience... on my 150th dive. Having to fiddle with all the weight and getting frustrated, etc. can do that. If it happens, trust your instincts and don't dive. Sort out your issues, get out of the water if you need to, and only descend when you feel good about it.

In my case it was a tight wetsuit, cold water, low viz, and insta-buddies that went without me (don't blame them). Once I fixed the things I could, I had two great dives later in the day. But I called the first two. Never dive if you are stressing yourself doing it.

Thank you all so much. I have been thinking about it all day and I am really proud of myself for going back down and doing the mask removal TWICE after my initial panic. I know that I can do it, I just have to get comfortable (like so many of you said).

Thank you ScubaSteve for the tip about swimming with a snorkel. I am an avid swimmer and will totally be doing that in the pool now! GREAT TIP!

I will be going with a DM for my next few dives, thats for sure. Not because I don't trust myself, but because I don't know what I don't know until it happens, and I don't want to get caught in a bind. I think I had good training, but in a moment when your personal fears overide your training, you don't think clearly, and that is what happened to me.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am commited to learning and being a safe and well educated diver, and I appreciate everyones tips and stories.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom