I found many car parts partially tucked under a pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This is an area where there's a lot of trash and we are having a harbor clean tomorrow. So as I scout the area I found a lot of car parts. Doors, trunk, hood, radiator, battery etc, some inside the pilings. Odd place to find 50s or 60s car parts in a dock well over 100 yrs old. Ideas?

@Diverdon

Great ! as expected from your very informative videos .
In any photography the photographer is "Judged by his best but remembered by his worst "
In your presentations there is no worst.
Your presentations are always the best
Keep up the great work !

The underwater trash collection is an indictment of the attitude community:
dumping in the water is apparently accepted method of trash disposal.

It is my considered opinion that your videos should be shown to the city officials : the mayor. city counsel. the chamber of commence. Perhaps it will awaked them to the massive underwater pollution occurring in the local waters.

My dear friend Don keep up the great work -- it is appreciated

Cheers from CenCal
SAM

Odd place to find 50s or 60s car parts in a dock well over 100 yrs old. Ideas?

Unless someone wanted a car to disappear. Radiator and battery cores were worth money even then, and cars needed little or no paperwork to scrap. There was really no reason to hide those items unless they needed to be hidden.

Bob

On the face of the headlight does it have any markings? T4, FoMoCo? Is the headlight about 5¾" or about 7"?

The doors have an early 60's look to them. I want to say GM or Chrysler. Unless it is a very unique car it is hard to tell what they are.

Bays, rivers, lakes and oceans were our trash dumps until recently. I've found lots of crap under the surface, including an old Cadillac. Some of it was cool and some was not so cool. What's anathema to us now, was common place even 60 years ago. It's a great way to find old bottles.

Some high dollar land next to the water is landfill. I believe it was San Francisco where they were digging a subway and it goes through the middle of a junked sunken ship that was landfill in the harbor.

One call I did around 10 years ago. We were looking for a car, supposedly driven into a local pond. It wasn't a Lexus. While we were looking, a couple of teenagers came up and asked if we were "looking for the Lexus". Well, now we are.

So we find a car. Hook it up, and get out of the way. Forgot what it was now. As I am waiting for the car to be pulled out, I kick something. It's an SUV. Not a Lexus. It ended up that the Lexus was under the one I kicked. We also found a number of golf carts and attempted to remove those, but the frames came apart, and the batteries started leaking acid, so we called it and called in the EPA.

It turns out, some locals were using this pond for a dumping ground for stolen cars.

On the face of the headlight does it have any markings? T4, FoMoCo? Is the headlight about 5¾" or about 7"?

The doors have an early 60's look to them. I want to say GM or Chrysler. Unless it is a very unique car it is hard to tell what they are.
I will check today, BB. If I can post a good picture I will.

The headlight is a low beam. If it is an original Ford headlight it will be marked "fomoco" (FOrd MOtor COmpany). GM original headlights were Guide T4 (I think). Don't know original Chrysler corporation stuff. An aftermarket replacement will be marked by the maker (GE, Phillips, etc.) You can tell it is a low beam light because it has 3-posts on the back. Technically it is low and high beams, but just called a low beam headlight to classify it differently from a high beam only headlight (2-posts on the back).

They float because they displace the water. It is a sealed beam light, so there is still a vacuum inside the headlight. Not filled with air, filled with nothing.

Back
Top Bottom