I found a gun!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supergibbs

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A few months ago I found a 9mm hand gun under a pier. I brought it up and turned it into the police. I haven't heard anything since but it was pretty exciting.

Oh, here is a pic :-D

IMG_2976.JPG

Holy crap. Be careful, the mob may come after you now!

I find a lot of guns. I have found 6 since June 13. I just picked up 4 guns this afternoon at the crime lab in Richmond today that have been analyzed. I do underwater criminal investigations and routinely locate guns that are usually stolen or used in crimes. Thanks for turning this weapon over to the police. I know there is an investigator who wants that gun very badly to aid an investigation. This could be a critical piece of evidence that may convict a murderer.
I have heard of many cases in which folks have found guns diving and kept them. This is very unfortunate as this could prevent prosecution in serious cases of dangerous folks. I know they are an attractive keepsake but it is best to notify the cops. For one thing, it is the right thing to do. Secondly, it would not be good to be in possession of a firearm is stolen, or is linked to a shooting. If the gun has not been in the water long, it may be hard to convince an officer that you found it diving. Could be problematic.

Guns found in water need to be handled properly to be used as evidence. When finding a gun it is usually best to put a bouy over it and notify the police. I GPS the location and will measure it from landmarks such as bridge abutments so I can pinpoint where it is found. I usually photograph it underwater and packager it underwater. Guns found in water need to be kept in the water in which found. I keep mine in PVC tubes. Once exposed to air causes rust to accelerate and flash rust could result which may hinder in identifying unique characteristics to match to evidence left at scenes of crimes. The police will have the gun analyzed by the crime lab and the results entered into a national firearm identification network (NIBIN) where it will be compared against other entered evidenc. A gun found in Virginia may match a gun used in a shooting in Baltimore or Atlanta, for example. Sometimes the gun may not be linked to a crime or not entered into NCIC as stolen. A trace will be run through Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to determine who the purchaser is and they may be on the hotseat. Often the purchaser is a "straw purchaser who bought it for someone else. If the gun was used to whack someone that person, usually a girlfriend, will roll over on them. Sometimes no info is found on the gun. Depending on the laws of the jurisdiction the gun may not be of evidentiary value and the finder may get to keep the gun and not have to worry about getting in trouble for it.

I have been given a gun found by citizen divers about 4 times. One gun was stolen but the other three I was able to get back to the finder after running it through the lab. The gun you located looks very fresh and should be able to be test fired. I hope it is of use to the police. FWIW, these investigations take a while and may take months to work through the system depending on caseload. Give it a bit and then make an inquiry and see what the status is. If linked to a crime you will not get all the details, but stay on it. You may be able to keep it if nothing comes out of the ivestigation.

I always get jazzed up when I find a gun. It is like finding the Golden Egg at Easter.

I find a lot of guns. I have found 6 since June 13. I just picked up 4 guns this afternoon at the crime lab in Richmond today that have been analyzed. I do underwater criminal investigations and routinely locate guns that are usually stolen or used in crimes. Thanks for turning this weapon over to the police. I know there is an investigator who wants that gun very badly to aid an investigation. This could be a critical piece of evidence that may convict a murderer.
I have heard of many cases in which folks have found guns diving and kept them. This is very unfortunate as this could prevent prosecution in serious cases of dangerous folks. I know they are an attractive keepsake but it is best to notify the cops. For one thing, it is the right thing to do. Secondly, it would not be good to be in possession of a firearm is stolen, or is linked to a shooting. If the gun has not been in the water long, it may be hard to convince an officer that you found it diving. Could be problematic.

Guns found in water need to be handled properly to be used as evidence. When finding a gun it is usually best to put a bouy over it and notify the police. I GPS the location and will measure it from landmarks such as bridge abutments so I can pinpoint where it is found. I usually photograph it underwater and packager it underwater. Guns found in water need to be kept in the water in which found. I keep mine in PVC tubes. Once exposed to air causes rust to accelerate and flash rust could result which may hinder in identifying unique characteristics to match to evidence left at scenes of crimes. The police will have the gun analyzed by the crime lab and the results entered into a national firearm identification network (NIBIN) where it will be compared against other entered evidenc. A gun found in Virginia may match a gun used in a shooting in Baltimore or Atlanta, for example. Sometimes the gun may not be linked to a crime or not entered into NCIC as stolen. A trace will be run through Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to determine who the purchaser is and they may be on the hotseat. Often the purchaser is a "straw purchaser who bought it for someone else. If the gun was used to whack someone that person, usually a girlfriend, will roll over on them. Sometimes no info is found on the gun. Depending on the laws of the jurisdiction the gun may not be of evidentiary value and the finder may get to keep the gun and not have to worry about getting in trouble for it.

I have been given a gun found by citizen divers about 4 times. One gun was stolen but the other three I was able to get back to the finder after running it through the lab. The gun you located looks very fresh and should be able to be test fired. I hope it is of use to the police. FWIW, these investigations take a while and may take months to work through the system depending on caseload. Give it a bit and then make an inquiry and see what the status is. If linked to a crime you will not get all the details, but stay on it. You may be able to keep it if nothing comes out of the ivestigation.

I always get jazzed up when I find a gun. It is like finding the Golden Egg at Easter.

Sounds likes cool job.

One of my first callouts was to locate a rifle that had been used in a homicide. We located it in a canal that was adjucent to a golf course in highly chemically active water (from all the pesticides and fertilizers used in care of the course). The gun had been in the water for approximately 14 hours, and we were still able to lift prints off of it, putting it in the hands of the shooter.

My office was in the jail at the time, so after cleaning up, I went by intake (where they were booking the shooter in) and let him know that we had recovered his property for him. The look on his face was priceless. I let his attorney let him know about the prints, though.

As James Croft said, it's great to find something like this. My favorite kind of callout.

I've found a few rifles, one or two pistols, a shotgun. some civil war ordnance including a bunch of 100 lb cannon balls---sure like to find a "gun" that shot them....:D

One of my first callouts was to locate a rifle that had been used in a homicide. We located it in a canal that was adjucent to a golf course in highly chemically active water (from all the pesticides and fertilizers used in care of the course).
That sounds gross. Do you need to take any personal or equipment precautions for that?

Those underwater golf ball hunters on "Dirty Jobs" seem nuts to me...

I've found a few rifles, one or two pistols, a shotgun. some civil war ordnance including a bunch of 100 lb cannon balls---sure like to find a "gun" that shot them....:D

I also occasionally find a cannon ball. I got a small solid shot last month. It is about the size of a softball. A cannon would be a nice find, for sure. I would like to take one to the crime lab just for laughs....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom