Gun and Ammunition Found on Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is cool!

Just saying the obvious, the ammo is almost certainly garbage, and even if it can fire would be unsafe. The gun may technically be able to fire too with extensive cleaning, but I wouldn't recommend that either. I'd keep it as a "wall trophy" in a place like Texas, however I seem to remember Australia has some rather restrictive gun-laws.

Listen to this.

I should have made it clear, it has not been in the water more than a few days. If it was longer, other divers would have found it. It was very shallow, about 4 metres. It was only 15 metres or so from the shore.

The ammunition was in excellent condition and certainly would have worked.

As to why the police were so interested, it is not often that someone in Australia finds an abandoned gun, our gun laws are extremely tough so not many people have guns.

Personally I think it was a gun that someone inherited from father or grandfather and decided to get rid of it as they did not have a licence. Dangerous way to do it, children swim and snorkel here, so could have easily found and caused a sad accident. They could have just handed it to police, no action would have been taken.

I should have made it clear, it has not been in the water more than a few days. If it was longer, other divers would have found it. It was very shallow, about 4 metres. It was only 15 metres or so from the shore.

The ammunition was in excellent condition and certainly would have worked.

As to why the police were so interested, it is not often that someone in Australia finds an abandoned gun, our gun laws are extremely tough so not many people have guns.

Personally I think it was a gun that someone inherited from father or grandfather and decided to get rid of it as they did not have a licence. Dangerous way to do it, children swim and snorkel here, so could have easily found and caused a sad accident. They could have just handed it to police, no action would have been taken.
It's definitely a very different culture from here, where I have half-a-dozen guns "under my bed."

With a gun like that, it would be tough to shoot someone with it, due to the lack of barrel, as the bullet couldn't really accelerate, although it could act somewhat like a small grenade in your hand which is the real danger.

It's definitely a very different culture from here, where I have half-a-dozen guns "under my bed."

With a gun like that, it would be tough to shoot someone with it, due to the lack of barrel, as the bullet couldn't really accelerate, although it could act somewhat like a small grenade in your hand which is the real danger.
SMLE parts are probably pretty available, you could put a new barrel on it and get some new furniture. Looks like it's a complete action.

Just saying the obvious, the ammo is almost certainly garbage, and even if it can fire would be unsafe. ...
Hmmm. NATO ammo (among others) is sealed both at the primer and at the case mouth, I believe. If so, it can certainly withstand some degree of submersion.

ETA: Is there .303 NATO ammo?

rx7diver

SMLE parts are probably pretty available, you could put a new barrel on it and get some new furniture. Looks like it's a complete action.
Correct, it looks like something I could easily turn into a fully functional gun here in the US.
Hmmm. NATO ammo (among others) is sealed both at the primer and at the case mouth, I believe. If so, it can certainly withstand some degree of submersion.

ETA: Is there .303 NATO ammo?
If it wasn't down there long, it should be fine. However, I'd put it in my target-practice ammo pile, and not the home-defense or hunting pile.

It might be interesting to test ammo left at 15/30/60/90/120 feet for 1 week, 1 month, 6 months, and 1 year to see if it still fires. The main danger would be you'd want to check the barrel between shots to ensure you didn't get a barrel obstruction.

Back
Top Bottom