I finally dived Monastery!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just had to share. It was very exiting! I've been diving around Monterey for about 8 years, but had never dived Monastery. A combination things had prevented me from doing it, but yesterday I finally dived Monastery beach. The conditions were amazing! Had an amazing dive. Then the bizarre lightning/thunder/rain rolled in, and we decided to skip the second dive and get some drinks :) I can't wait to go back!

Hi Paco--Thanks for your post. I was there yesterday, too. It was an amazing dive! It was my first time diving the site as well, generally because the forecast was so favorable. When we arrived, the water was completely flat like a bathtub.

We went around the kelp on south monastery. I saw several animals I have never seen before, quite a good variety of sponges, and many large fish.

We were in the water and coming out when the lightning show was going on.

My one experience with Monastery Beach was "exiting", all right. I got rolled in the surf trying to get out, and the embarrassing thing was that the "waves" were all of about 12" high. Glad you had a calm day for it -- I thought the terrain there was really beautiful.

I've stopped to check out Monastery many times, and so I do know that it is rarely as calm as it was yesterday. I did the north side. I am sure I will someday experience the rougher conditions it is known for, but one thing that I bet never changes is that brutal hike through the sand!

...but one thing that I bet never changes is that brutal hike through the sand!
The nice guy who took me to S. Monastery brought a dolly with big sand wheels and 2 tables. We rolled our doubles down to the beach and set them on the tables. With just drysuit on, he took a weighted buoy out just past the surf break and clipped our stages to it. We suited up at the trucks, stepped into our doubles at the tables and walked right out between the sets. Once past the break, we clipped off our stages, and off we went.

That was one of my favorite dives, ever. Saw a shark (identity still in question), seals, of course, dolphins playing in the swells around us, whales 100 yards out, and the wall at 150' with the hydracoral was beautiful. Oh, and 60' vis.

Coming back in was the same as going out, in reverse. Between the dolly and the tables and taking our time, making the dive with doubles and stages was easy.

When I got back to Spokane, I bought one of those tables. Now several of my buddies have them, also.

Monterey-divers-tables.gif

I was diving there yesterday too and I've never seen it so calm. There was almost no surge and and the vis was around 30-40. It was an awesome day of diving!! The lightning storm was exciting but just made for a longer SI for us. We waited it out and went out for another dive after it past. :D

Sorry, I missed meeting all of you. It was nice seeing you again Ben and meeting you Darth_Rahl (is that right?)

Look how nice the water was...
IMG_0491_copy.jpg

IMG_0492_copy.jpg

IMG_0493_copy.jpg

And this was the storm heading for Breakwater when we were entering for our 2nd dive.
IMG_0551_copy.jpg

The rest of my pics from the day are here: Monterey 6-21-08 - a set on Flickr

Awesome pics Michelle. I am so jealous of you finding a big skate to take pictures of. I looked for those all day last Sunday, and never found one.

I hate working weekends. ;P

Awesome pics Michelle. I am so jealous of you finding a big skate to take pictures of. I looked for those all day last Sunday, and never found one.

I hate working weekends. ;P

Thanks! Yeah, I don't see skates too often in Monterey. I swam right past this one and luckily Ron got my attention.

I hear there are lots of them at the tip of Lover's Point but I've never been out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom