I finally did it! Signed up for a bull riding school (trip report in this thread)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, Ber, excellent report!

You should be very proud of yourself. It takes a lot of guts to ride a bull, rank or not. It's not something most people could even force themselves to do.

Ber Rabbit:
Thanks Jenny :)

I told several people if I had gotten that Mini Masseuse before I met Bruce I probably never would have gotten married :laughing:
Ber :lilbunny:
That comment is sooo loaded, I am not even gonna type what I originally planned. :crafty:
OTOH, I worked for a guy who used it years ago when I worked with the racehorses. They are illegal to use on the horses, cause it masks injuries. I stuck it on my hand, and wow! That was very cool! I can imagine how good they are on an injury!

Scuba_Jenny:
That comment is sooo loaded, I am not even gonna type what I originally planned. :crafty:
OTOH, I worked for a guy who used it years ago when I worked with the racehorses. They are illegal to use on the horses, cause it masks injuries. I stuck it on my hand, and wow! That was very cool! I can imagine how good they are on an injury!

LOL! I had to practically pry it out of my 80-year-old mother-in-laws hands :rofl: I'll be ordering her one tomorrow :)

Bruce and I had lunch with some friends today and I showed them a snippet of the video of me riding. They said, "Those are REAL bulls!" Bruce said, "I told you she was taking a bull riding class." Their reply was, "We thought you meant mechanical bull, you didn't tell us the bulls could BREATHE!" :rofl:

They insist I'm crazy :wink: It's hard to explain but you learn so much about yourself in that class. I'm really glad I took it however now I'm having these urges to take it again. It really is addicting once you get on a few times.

I had put a copy of my class journal on the Sankey Rodeo message board. I wondered why it took a couple of days for the post to appear. I knew that every post was checked before going up but there wasn't any profanity or anything else that violated their policy in my post. Today when I checked the website I found out why. Lyle Sankey took the time not only to read through my long post but to make a post of his own that contained my post and his editorial comments about certain parts. Lyle isn't one to mince words; if you did a good job he tells you and if not, well he's diplomatic about it but he gets his point across. Thought you might enjoy seeing what my instructor had to say about my impressions of the class. The journal entry is less detailed than the one in this post because it came straight from the journal without the benefit of hindsight that I went ahead and put into the post here.

I've been looking but haven't seen Amy's photos yet. She's still working on them. I'm sure they'll be great though. When the story and slideshow goes online I'll let everyone know so they can check it out.

She did say you were very brave and very tough for getting on those bulls. I've been around it enough to know it's not for me. Nice going!

Ber Rabbit:
Lyle Sankey took the time not only to read through my long post but to make a post of his own that contained my post and his editorial comments about certain parts.

dang, he sounds awfuly defensive ... i am glad he thought highly of you (of course!)
but he kind of came across as protesting too much about what you said about his school

H2Andy:
dang, he sounds awfuly defensive ... i am glad he thought highly of you (of course!)
but he kind of came across as protesting too much about what you said about his school

He says what he thinks in person and when he writes. I understand where he's coming from with his replies, the lectures were good and they were thorough unfortunately my learning style doesn't do well with lectures; I'm a "hands on" learner. I took a bunch of notes during the classroom sessions and I went behind the chutes and watched what was going on while taking more notes; I reviewed the notes over and over but getting on the bulls and actually doing the process several times was the only way I got the hang of what I was supposed to do. They aren't so much defensive as filling in the gaps of my raw journal entries. The journal was long and was simply an account of my personal feelings, I certainly wasn't going to put my notes on the post to clarify how much I learned :D It's a quality class and I really hope my post didn't detract from that. I'll be posting a reply to Lyle in the next few days to clarify some things on my end and make sure my post doesn't sound like I'm trashing his class because that was never the intention.

aw sorry for getting this so late glad you made it out of the chute alot of em don't cowgirl up right

Ber Rabbit:
Hey gang! I'm back and alive :D I have a few bruises on my leg from getting stepped on, a goose-egg lump on the side of my right wrist from getting thrown to the left side three times in a row and I'm a little stiff but I'm none the worse for wear. ... I don't think I stayed on anything longer than 4 seconds the entire weekend but I improved some aspect of my ride with every bull I got on.
More later!
Can't believe I never saw this thread before...
Silly wabbit :D
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Can't believe I never saw this thread before...
Silly wabbit
Rick

Did you see this thread? There's a picture of me near the end of the presentation in the link as well as a link to the only picture my sister took that came out.

BTW, the last person talking on the presentation is me :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom