I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about 50 lbs of gunpowder stored in the same room as the T bottle of O2? Is that frowned on? Asking for a friend.

Actually won't make any difference, gunpowder is an accelerant with enough O2 already in it. With extra O2 it shouldn't burn any different.

Gunpowder doesn't explode, unless in a container where it can build up pressure while burning. 50 or 100psi doesn't cut it.
Black powder, on the other hand, is a low grade explosive.

Around larger quantities of either one, I'd try to avoid sparks and have good grounding on anything I touch. A synthetic rug that creates a static charge probably isn't a good idea.
40 years ago back when I was reloading a lot, I smoked while operating my RL450s with case feeders mounted. 452AA and ww-571, were the powders that I used for pistol, for rifle I liked IMR powders since they burned so much cleaner than ball powders.

Now I no longer reload, or smoke.

Michael

Around larger quantities of either one, I'd try to avoid sparks and have good grounding on anything I touch.
It's too humid outside to spark anything. You have to have a really good AC to get a static spark inside.

Actually won't make any difference, gunpowder is an accelerant with enough O2 already in it. With extra O2 it shouldn't burn any different.

Gunpowder doesn't explode, unless in a container where it can build up pressure while burning. 50 or 100psi doesn't cut it.
Black powder, on the other hand, is a low grade explosive.

More considerations: It isn't that easy to burst an industrial gas bottle with explosives. We blew the top of an empty surplus "K" bottle off during explosives training but it required linear shape charges packed with high velocity plastic explosives. However, conventional charges that went off nearby turned them into projectiles. Damn that was a fun field trip!

I agree that pressurized pure oxygen cylinders in an adjacent explosion wouldn't likely be much worse than pure Nitrogen. However, a 30-150 Lb projectile pressurized to 2,000 to 3,000 PSI is concerning -- just as a nearby propane tank would be.

How about 50 lbs of gunpowder stored in the same room as the T bottle of O2? Is that frowned on? Asking for a friend.

I think it is fair to say that it would NOT be listed under Best Practices. :)

Yesterday was weird. It felt a lot like busy work, but it will improve the flow in the workshop. Mostly, I just rearranged and reorganized boxes. I have a lot of tools. I have a lot of stuff. I've been working on a process of getting most of my tools into drawers and consumables into storage boxes. When I redid my water tank, I did it without the benefit of my pipe wrenches. I knew I owned three but I had no idea where they were. Yesterday, I ran into a box labeled "plumbing". Bingo. Found an empty drawer that had been full of consumables which were moved to a box and in went the tools... and properly labeled it as well. I spent hours doing that. When I got too tired or hot, I sat in my folding chair under the fan I installed for the miter saw. I still have a couple of screws to put in the ag-shed shelf I made, but I noticed the top shelf was not level. I'll correct that this morning.

I have been working on an idea about a screen for my deep sink I use for washing hands etc outside. It's always filling with leaves so I have started working on a frame. I had cut/mitered pieces a week or so ago, but I just couldn't decide on how to join them. This is going to be outside in the weather, and banged around as I move it off and on. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to keep it simple. I used a right angle clamping jig I've used to weld with. It's cheap, simple and wow, it really worked well. I aligned two pieces, removed one, glued up both sides, made the joint and then used my Ryobi battery driven 18Ga nailer to run three nails in either direction. Man, that's a nice tool. Sure, it's slower than my air operated guns, but this is a small project and I don't have to fire up the compressor to use it. Moving from corner to corner, I had it together in a few minutes and in checking the diagonals, it was perfectly square. Painted it a forest green with a coat of this ultra tough paint. Today, I'll fasten the screen to it and the hinges should be in on Wednesday. I also need to level the ground by the tank and possibly start to sink the posts for the enclosure.

full?d=1585787502.jpg

Attachments

• P7jIG1-20200331_102013.jpg
    P7jIG1-20200331_102013.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 129
I've been fighting a battle with Hercules Club since I got here. It has wicked thorns and tears me up any time I pass near. It loves fence lines, I guess because you can't always mow it. Pernicious wicked and painful are all good descriptors of this bane of Suwannee County. I have dug, pulled, whacked, pulled, uprooted, pulled and even tried to poison it. Only the West fence line has any of it left. Yesterday and today, with my nephews help, I got rid of the last bit.

full?d=1585783609.jpg

While I was at it yesterday, I started out with my chainsaw, loopers and tree saw in the cart. But where do you put it when the cart gets full? I wanted a way to stow it on the ZT and was full of ideas when I spied the scabbard that came with my 24" saw. I attached it with 2 1/4-24 button head screws and notched the bottom so it wouldn't collect rain water. Then, using the same hardware, I attached a 4" PVC thin wall to the other side for the other for the loppers.

They almost work. I'm going to need to adjust both items. My short chainsaw causes the scabbard to bend and falls right on out when I go over a bump. But, it's just perfect for this small crap. I haven't seen Hercules Club get over 8" in diameter and most of it is around an inch or less. I'm going to get some 16 gauge steel to stiffen the part of the scabbard that goes above the engine shroud. The four inch tube allows the loppers to sit too low. A 4" cap is all it needs. I'll drill a couple of holes in the bottom as well to keep rainwater from accumulating.

full?d=1585783609.jpg

Front view

full?d=1585783609.jpg

Rear view.​

The chainsaw has a lot of leverage on you connection point and the rough ground you drive on is going to cause your connection points to fail and the trailer will run over the chainsaw after it escapes. Beware

For those who've been keeping up with this blog, you know I have three cats. Ma~ (pronounced Matilda) is the love of my life, Natasha the tiny little killer and the bruiser we call Mischka or "little mouse". Well, recently he posed up high in a tree and you have to admit, he looks like a big ol' Bobcat way up there...

full?d=1585787502.jpg

The chainsaw has a lot of leverage on you connection point and the rough ground you drive on is going to cause your connection points to fail and the trailer will run off the chainsaw after it escapes. Beware
Hence the need for a stiffener. I would prefer metal, but wood would suffice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom