I fear change, but . . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The coldwater kit would not make a huge difference in this case. Furthermore this older design is sorta obsolete with the adventof the dry chamber... especially with diaphragm regs. It is just too messy.

The new Mares Proton metal is a good reg. I demoed one in the pool. It is small, compact, light weight and breaths smoothly and easily, as much so or better than anything I have used. I would like to get one at depth before I buy but right now I am also leaning to yet another Mares (long time Mares user) and that is nthe metal Proton perhaps with the plastic bodied Proton as my octa. Why plastic for the octa, well, the plastic version breaths just the same and since octa regs get banged around some times I think the plastic might "wear" better. Let me restate, the metal version is more durable in the long run in my opinion but the plastic version is more small injury proof.
Since I have done much of my diving with the servo valve/pilot valve Tekna T2100 over the last 20 years it takes a moment for me to readjust myself to conventional units like the Proton/Abyss and just about every other brand. The servo valved regulators, Tekna, Omega, Poseidin, literally pump air to you at depth but are often jittery and jumpy in shallow water. Anyways, I think your Mares choice is an excellent one, they are as good or better than anything out there. Good luck. N

Back
Top Bottom