I dove the Mighty "O"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did anyone in your group take pics?

What was the vertical viz...at what depth could you begin to see the ship clearly?

That sounds so cool!

this dive sounds awesome
once i get a bit more deep experience and my nitrox cert i'm gonna have to make the drive up there

Don Janni:
I might add that the tech divers on the trip who were able to look in the hanger deck reported it's a scavengers dream. Desks, telephones, chairs, hatches, switch panels and etc, etc.

It's protected. You can bring anything up.

What was the vertical viz...at what depth could you begin to see the ship clearly?

At 40 feet you can see the carrier.

bennedc:
Did anyone in your group take pics?

That sounds so cool!

I mentioned it in my original post but I would say the vis was 100 to 120 feet and as soon as I looked down I could see the super structure.

Don Janni:
I mentioned it in my original post but I would say the vis was 100 to 120 feet and as soon as I looked down I could see the super structure.
Cool...I know that sometimes horizontal viz doesn't equal vertical viz...sometimes you can see better one way or the other...that's why I was asking! Thanks! Sounds great!

Don Janni:
By the way, one the tech divers, Rich from Merdian, that we dove with did the Andrea Doria. Listening to his story was enough to convience me not to get within 100 miles of it.

Details Don....details...I know the currents at the Doria are very strong and unpredictable, but what else did Rich have to say?

Scubaguy62:
Details Don....details...I know the currents at the Doria are very strong and unpredictable, but what else did Rich have to say?

Two charters a year with about 100 applicants per trip. They take 9. I think it was 9. He was lucky enough to get chosen.

It's a 3 or 4 day trip. Takes a day to get there. Seas are often rough and currents are strong. It's a 220' to 240' dive. Divers penetrate. Sometimes divers don't make it back. He said everyone on his trip survived. Survived??? Damn man, why would you pick that word??!?

Have at it my friend and I'll say a prayer for you. Me, I'm going to Cozumel.

Understand the viz can also be 30 feet, as on my dive on the Oriskany. Could barely make out the flight deck from 115 feet.

del_mo:
Understand the viz can also be 30 feet, as on my dive on the Oriskany. Could barely make out the flight deck from 115 feet.

The vis got worse the deeper you went but never that bad on that day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom