I don't have a New Year's trip planned yet! Any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Except for the 24-36 hour drive to get there!! :eek:hno: :wow: But then, those guys are 600 miles south of me...?

Scubatooth once bubbled...
well its looking like there going to be a group of divers from texas heading to florida the week after christmas to dive and have some fun.

Check the texas swamp divers forum for details on the trip. the more the better.

If we get a few interested in a Florida Keys trip between Christmas and NYears, I AM! This a busy week for many locations, including the Keys, so planning now would be barely in time. I'm sure that there'll be some bodacious parties NYE and/or continued diving NYMorning. I can lead or follow - either way?

Brad, I hear your "fun" in the water. Looking forward to diving with you next weekend.

don

don

well if you drive the way i drive we would be to orlando in 24 hours(ie changing drivers ever 4 hours and rotating through the day and night. i have made it to st pete in 22 hoursfrom dallas and that included a 1 hour unscheduled break when lunch decided to leave in one burp)

i dunno maybe i need to get to mike and get one hte ball for this

Dan

enjoy the yard and besure to bring back one heck of a trip report

Scubatooth once bubbled...
don

i dunno maybe i need to get to mike and get one hte ball for this

Dan

enjoy the yard and besure to bring back one heck of a trip report

Hey Dan...

I bought a cap from Divers Alert Network, but everytime I wore it, people called me "Dan." I've never known anyone who wore their name on the front (I personalize them on the back sometimes) but that happened.

Anyway, I didn't get those two statements...?
:huh:

don

Anybody going anywhere more exotic? I have been to FL twice this fall already and am going back again in Feb. I don't wanna go in Jan too! :D

I don't have anything going for NYE and it's my birthday, so I like to do something fun if I can figure out a way. If anyone comes up with anything, let me know!

Rachel

Hey O-Ring

Check out the Windjammer/ Legacy out of St.Thomas. I have a reservation and just waiting for airfare info before I confirm. The tall ship only takes 122 people. I think I was 102.

I'm thinking of making some of my own dive arrangements with operators who have been recommended on these boards.

Hey if we get enough people the dive operators may come pick us up at the boat and take us staight to the dive sights.

This is the coolest NYE trip I've found. Still looking and open to ideas, but want to nail something down soon.

Bob

Now, I'm just playing here, until someone else wants to lead or something. I'm sure many would be more qualified.

:tree: Key Largo, Tavaneir, easy access to the Middle and Lower Keys...?

I looked at some possibilities on the Net, and made a few calls. It'd be doable, but with some challenges. And I put in a request to post a plan on this forum, as required in the first post on this forum. I guess they still require that...

:fly: Cheap tickets would be a challenge, as this is a very busy vacation week - schools closed, many offices closed, retail cut back (my deal).:angry:I prefer Miami (MIA) or Ft.Lauderdale (FLL), but West Palm Beach (PBI) would be less challenging. If we could coordinate arrival times, cell phone numbers, and car rentals, I guess we could get some pools going? I've never tried the bus?

:snooze:I spoke with Debbie, one of the owners of The Hungry Pelican/Sunset Cove, adjacent and mutually managed motels, and she's mostly sold for the week. Still has 9 of 44 open, and more could be arranged. The bungalows, larger cabins, and beach trailers all have their own characters and prices ($50 and up). It would be fun to have a couple of dozen SB membes at the same motel, but there are lots of other choices. She did agree to a 10% discount, and that was a gimme - as they'll sell out that week!

http://www.fabulousvacations.com/hungrypelican/

:scuba: There's a large number of great operators to work with there, of course. I'd suggest operators with two 12-pack boats or bigger, so we could have plenty of room to put newbies on one and more experienced on the other. My favs are Ocean Divers and Tavernier Dive Center - which recently acquired a number of 100 cu ft Nitrox tanks! There are cafes close to each for any who want to ordere lunch, dive in the morning, grab lunch, and dive in the afternoon. You know - eat, sleep, dive.

http://www.oceandivers.com/

http://tavernierdivecenter.com/

Like I said, I'm playing here. This would all work better if a Shop or Club sponsored it, but - I haven't seen any offers, and time is running. Any comments...???

don

dandydon once bubbled...
Brad, I hear your "fun" in the water. Looking forward to diving with you next weekend. [/SIZE]

don

hmmmm if you got your information from whom i think you did, i believe the descriptive term was "evil" and not "fun" lol

which once again manifested itself today hahaha

went out of Moorehead City with Discovery Divers. was supposed to go out to the sub and other offshore wrecks but the weather kept us inshore. ended up on the Indra.

it was my buddies first dive in the graveyard, he has only done open water dives in Fiji, and he has never experianced a wreck of any kind.
the surge was extremely strong on the Indra, and i led him past once of the large openings in the side of the ship, and got a good laugh as he got sucked into hold of the Indra. :wacko:

hehehehehe oh, so that description you got was right, i am "fun" under water. it was fun for me lol.

=-)

BradfordNC once bubbled...

hmmmm if you got your information from whom i think you did, i believe the descriptive term was "evil" and not "fun" lol

...it was my buddies first dive in the graveyard... and i led him past once of the large openings in the side of the ship, and got a good laugh as he got sucked into hold of the Indra. :wacko:

hehehehehe oh, so that description you got was right, i am "fun" under water. it was fun for me lol.

=-)

See I told you you were evil! But you can be evil and still be fun to dive with :wink:

I might be interested in a NYE trip depending on where it is, how much, and for how long, and if I can get off work that week. It's usually pretty slow around here, but since I am low on the senority list, I get last dibbs on holiday vacation.

VaScubaGirl once bubbled...
I might be interested in a NYE trip depending on where it is, how much, and for how long, and if I can get off work that week. It's usually pretty slow around here, but since I am low on the senority list, I get last dibbs on holiday vacation.

Where you wanta' go? How much you wanta' pay? How long your wanta' stay? Can you take off for when you want to go, for where you want to go to, for the money you want to spend? We're looking for a leader to take care of all of our planning!! :looped:

Sure enough, the idea is growing on me. I'd rather go somewhere else in the U.S., but it's warm enough to dive there then. It's going to cost more than I wanta' pay, but oh well. :$$: I guess I'll just take off and stay as long as I want.

I'm landlocked on the High Desert, but I have gone diving as often as I could the last 30 months since I got carded. The rest of the time, I just wasted.

don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom